Author Topic: Airlifter?  (Read 3561 times)

Offline sealion

• View Profile
Airlifter?
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2006, 09:25:59 pm »
Quick change is merely an excuse for another luxury harney lifter.
How quick is the quick change?
Knowing our shower, it will be booked out for ministerial transport all year round, for every backbencher who needs to go on a fact finding mission to the carribean

Offline Old Redeye

• View Profile
Airlifter?
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2006, 03:27:47 pm »
From Flight International.  

I believe Boeing has already contacted the IAC/MoD about a 737-700C/QC with palletized fits for standard 125 Pax, all freighter, combi with 70 pax & freight, casevac and VIP/business class.  This latest Boeing offering described below, the BBJ-C, would have even better capabilities, particularly regarding range.  In combination with a C-295 or CN-235, I think this would be an excellent solution in terms of value for money for Ireland's pressing airlift requirements.

Boeing considers developing freighter variant of Boeing Business Jet 737-700C
By Guy Norris in Los Angeles

Boeing is considering the development of a convertible freighter version of the Boeing Business Jet (BBJ) based on the 737-700C.

“The decision probably won’t be made for a few months as to whether the aircraft would be officially part of the BBJ family” says the company which adds “we are talking to several customers and there is a lot of interest.” [Ireland maybe?] The variant, if launched, will be based on the -700C which was given the go-ahead in 1997 following an initial order from the US Navy which ordered the C-40 Clipper military derivative.

Dubbed the BBJ C, the variant would incorporate the main deck cargo door which Boeing says is “big enough for a car or horses.” The version would also be the first multi-purpose business jet. “It’s a wonder no-one has thought of it before.”

Boeing also envisages the BBJ C would be developed along the lines of the Quick Change 700C variant, enabling an overnight change capability. The BBJ C would build on the existing -700C, which incorporates the basic -700 fuselage with the stronger gear and heavier gauge wings of the -800, by adding auxiliary fuel tanks and winglets.

In its current commercial configuration, the -700C is capable of carrying 18,780kg (41,420lb) of cargo over ranges up to 5,335km (2,880nm). Boeing says the  BBJ C, by contrast, will be a more capable aircraft when incorporating additional auxiliary under-floor fuel tanks that cannot be considered on the commercial version for belly cargo space reasons.

With up to six auxiliary tanks Boeing says estimated range of the BBJ C is around 9,195km.

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
Airlifter?
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2006, 10:02:04 pm »
While such a convertible aircraft would have its uses, especially for rapid transport of urgent cargo, most air arms would use dedicated "trash-haulers" to move heavier military equipment.  By way of example, back in the early 1960s, the USAF, with no immediate alternative available, used a number of C-135 freighters.  However, because of the height of the cargo door above the ground and the level of ground equipment needed to load and unload them, they were not deemed a success and were converted for other uses.

Offline P.Doff

• View Profile
Airlifter?
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2006, 10:46:17 pm »
I think I mentioned this before in another thread, but, its all fine and well wishing for these new aircraft but whos going to maintain them !!! Theres plenty of spare pilots but techies are rapidly becoming extinct!! Of course the government could go down the civillian contracter route but this would cost them much more than the few euro they give an Aircorps techie for being on crew. And, where the hell would they be hangered/parked! I know that the proposed Airbus/BBJ was to be kept at EIDW had it been purchased but Id say it would be preffered that a dedicated military airlifter would be based at the don. Spains CN-295 demonstrator(much roomyer inside !!) was in last week for the CASA 20,000 flight hrs celebration and looking at its size it would be back to the old case of leaving the tail sticking out of the hanger!!  Anyhoo, thats my rant over from the lads on the ground point of view.

Offline Old Redeye

• View Profile
Airlifter?
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2006, 02:20:37 pm »
All maintenance above flightline level for a B737 or A319 would be handled by a contractor, probably an airline like Ryanair in the case of a 737.  And yes, it should be based at Baldonnel and another, larger hanger is required - with a cargo rigging facility, and more ramp space.

Offline Old Redeye

• View Profile
Airlifter?
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2006, 03:21:38 pm »
Is Ireland next?

Finland Selects the EADS CASA C-295 Aircraft
(Source: EADS; issued May 4, 2006)

MADRID --- The Finnish Air Force has officially announced today that the Minister of Defence has signed the decision to select the EADS CASA C-295 as a tactical transport aircraft. The contract, that will be signed next week, includes the acquisition of two (2) aircraft and five (5) options.  

These C-295s will replace the Fokker 27s, which are currently in service and close to the end of their operational life.  

This decision, another defeat for the C-27J Spartan, finalises the rigorous selection process that took a year and a half, including two in-flight evaluations, in cold weather, in the Finnish Artic area, as well as in hot weather summer conditions in the South of Spain.

Offline P.Doff

• View Profile
Airlifter?
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2006, 07:37:57 pm »
Well, I know that when the 295 was here last week that it done a "Demo" patrol with our own CASA crew members on board with the Spanish crew(just in case people think I mean our lads were flying/crewing!). So they are definitly trying to push them on Ireland in my view, albeit in the disguise of a "Flip". Although with(our) the current 235's going in for upgrades over the next year cant see it happening. Though with the way things work here I suppose it cant be ruled out. It would be typically Irish to pump money into upgrades then say sod it and sell them off!!

Offline Old Redeye

• View Profile
Airlifter?
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2006, 02:35:14 pm »
Additional info:

The Finnish Ministry of Defence will purchase two new EADS CASA C-295M transport aircraft for its air force.

The total value of the contract is more than EUR45 million (USD57 million) and includes all related materiel, services, spare parts and training. Surely Ireland could afford EUR45M for a couple first-rate airlifters.

Delivery of the first aircraft will be in the first half of 2008 and operational readiness will be reached in 2009.  It is anticipated that the aircraft will be used largely overseas in support of UN crisis-management and humanitarian missions.

The CASA C-295M competed against Alenia Aeronuatica's C-27J.

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
Airlifter?
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2006, 10:39:01 pm »
Hi Old Redeye
You will be pleased to note that the Army used one of Boeing's finest, a 767 of Excel Airways, to move troops abroad, last night or thereabouts.No schlepping it in a C-130 for these boys!
As for keeping a 737-sized aircraft at Baldonnel, all they would need is a conveyor-belt baggage lifter and a flat ULD container lifter, just like the airlines. No mystery there.
regards
GttC

Offline warthog

• View Profile
Airlifter?
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2006, 11:02:12 pm »
p.doff i'm pretty sure the idea would be keep the two upgraded maritime 235's and add one or two 295's as transporters to the fleet for the purposes of commonality,spares,tech training etc...

it makes perfect sense

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
Airlifter?
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2006, 11:29:54 am »
Hi Warthog
Common sense has nothing to do with it.Sometimes it's only a coincidence if a truly sensible decision is made.Redeye will be pleased to see Oz Prime Minister using a B737 (A36-002) for his visit here yesterday.Another point: is a Casa tough enough for the job? At least a Hercules is a tough, military aircraft as opposed to a warmed-over civilian aircraft.
regards
GttC