Author Topic: Dimensions of Spitfire Tr9  (Read 828 times)

Online Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
Dimensions of Spitfire Tr9
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 08:50:29 am »
Hi Tony,

I think we all would like to see some of your research published on the site. The history section on the site is a bit poor really so if you would like to make some information available for use on the site I would be more than glad to have it.

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline FiSe

• View Profile
    • Airbrusher & The Real Kustom Painter
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 01:37:46 pm »
If I can say something from modelling point of view, measurements are for books and statistics... Especially regarding to aircrafts from and around WWII. If you take your measuring tape and go around two or three - let's say Spits TR Mk.IX - you will probably end up with three different numbers in any dimension.
My own experience
Non multi sed multa

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2006, 05:03:51 pm »
Hi all
FiSe makes a very good point about sizes.In the era when aircraft, even mass-produced ones like Spitfires,were hand-built, it was quite common to find that supposedly interchangeable parts such as cowlings and hatches did not fit.there are many accounts of mechanics having to file or cut parts to fit, if they swapped them off other aircraft.rebuilt warbirds(I hate that word!) are in much better order, fit-wise, than the originals....John, I have plenty of taildragger experience, on the ground and in the air and their configuration can make life interesting, especially fitting small taildraggers into small hangars.
Tony, you should publish your work in the open market!
regards
GttC