Author Topic: IAC UAV's  (Read 326 times)

Offline Shamrock145

• View Profile
IAC UAV's
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:53:22 pm »
Have the Air Corps received any UAV's? I know there were plans to operate some and there may even have been a procurement/tender sent out?

AFAIK, other arms of the DF's are operating some small short range "over the hill" units.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 12:57:29 pm by Shamrock145 »

Fouga

Re: IAC UAV's
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 05:28:55 pm »
Hi Shamrock i dont know about the IAC but the new Navy ships will be capable of UAV Operations.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/navy-will-use-8364100m-ships-to-operate-robot-spy-planes-1885329.html

Navy will use €100m ships to operate robot spy planes

Sunday September 13 2009

Two new ships for the Irish Naval Service costing €100m will operate robot spy planes for surveillance during fishery protection and anti-drug smuggling patrols.

The two new ships, which are urgently needed to replace 30-year-old vessels, will be able to operate Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) or robot planes.

Israeli-made spy planes are already in use by the Army in Chad, and the new at-sea systems will greatly enhance the Naval Service's surveillance capabilities.

A firm tendering for the ships contract, Aker Yards Marine (AYM), has teamed up with Babcock Marine of Plymouth, England, to respond to the Naval Service's call for the so-called second-generation offshore patrol vessels.

AYM designed two of the Naval Service's existing 78-metre patrol vessels, the Le Roisin and the LE Niamh, in collaboration with Appledore Shipbuilders, which is now a subsidiary of Babcock Marine.

The use of robot planes or UAVs is also being studied by Britain's Royal Navy, which is preparing a strategy paper that will consider the use of armed pilotless planes.

As the Sunday Independent reported last month, Defence Minister Willie O'Dea is to seek Cabinet approval for €100m needed to pay for the two new patrol vessels, as well as €3.8m for a new steel-hulled ship to replace the Asgard sail-training vessel, which sank last year.

"We have received some very attractive offers. I have taken that back to my colleagues and it will be assessed as part of the budgetary process," Mr O'Dea said.

"I am going to make the best case I can. The vessels will have to be replaced sometime, and sooner is better as far as I am concerned because we can get a very good deal," he said.

At this stage, the minister is not seeking funding for a proposed Extended Patrol Vessel costing up to €100m.

Ships due for replacement include the LE Emer (1978), the LE Aoife (1979) and the LE Aisling (1980).

- DON LAVERY