Author Topic: Channel 4 Program last Monday  (Read 279 times)

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
Channel 4 Program last Monday
« on: January 15, 2004, 03:27:06 pm »
Did anybody else happen to watch the program on Channel 4 last Monday night about taking four young pilots with varying amounts of training and teaching them to fky all over again with the reward to fly the Spitfire twin seat training A/C.

Well the spitfire used turns out to be an ex-Air Corps one which was refurbished to a beautiful standard. The program gave a very brief history of the Spit but no number. There was a still photo of the Spit being un-crated with the wing still with the Air Corps roundel on it.

I have it videod if anyone missed it.

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 09:13:35 pm »
I saw the program.It was great to hear the roar of the Merlin.
The Spitfire was G-LFIX ex ML407 in the RAF and 162 in the Air Corps. It was a Mark IX converted to two seat Mk9T.I was surprised that Caroline Grace did not mention it also served in the IAC.
Tony K

Offline Turkey

• View Profile
Ireland, no jets, no future!

Offline Silver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 02:39:49 pm »
Isn't there also a more recent pic of 162 in her RAF livery in the pic database?

Fouga

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 11:46:29 pm »
There was also another seafire that is now used on the UK airshow circuit and it's called "Nicholson leslie" please excuse the spelling

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 11:51:37 pm »
Hey Claudel, yeah I watched that programme, as soon as I heard there was going to be a two seat Spitfire I figured that it would be an Ex Donner! And like you I was surprised that they didn't mention it!
Thanks for the history, Tony. do you know if it is based at Duxford? They did mention something about Hawkinge, or was it Headcorn? It's great to see it's still flying.

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 01:31:54 pm »
Hi John,
The Spitfire is normally based at Duxford, but often positions to wherever it is flying at a display. This is the reason why it is never at Duxford when I visit or else they hate me and hear that I am visiting! The flying scenes were all at Duxford.The Tiger Moth flying was at Headcorn???
Take care.
Tony