Author Topic: Rescue 111  (Read 347 times)

Offline yellowjacket

• View Profile
Rescue 111
« on: April 02, 2004, 11:42:31 pm »
I'm currently working on a report for a safety management assignment. The subject I'm looking at is the loss of Rescue 111 at Tramore in 1999.

As research I've gone through the AAIB report, plus had some contact with the United States Coast Guard regarding their HH65 operations.

What I'd like to add is some input from the Irish side, either current/former Air Corps or other SAR/Aviation professionals.

Taking the AAIB report as a starting point, how would you assess it, were points left out/under emphasised. Do you feel the report came to fair conclusions? Have the recommendations from the report been implemented properly?

If you want to contact me offline that's fine either by private message here or to brightyellowjacket@yahooDOTcoDOTuk

As a mark of respect to the memory of all  involved, I'd prefer if this thread is kept to the point, and that coments are constructive.

Thanks

Michael Gilligan

Rescue 111
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 11:33:02 am »
As a mark of respect to the crew involved I think it would be better not to raise this subject again, It has been well and truly gone over in other bulletin boards including this one.
Would you not be better off going to the printed media and searching their archives for the story.

Michael

Offline yellowjacket

• View Profile
Rescue 111
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 03:20:55 pm »
Thanks for that input, I don't think it's relevant though.

Damn near all of what passed for discussion on other forums and the media is ill-informed and not too useful. Yes, I have searched them already.

Initial research has shown up points of potential interest, not thoroughly covered in the official report.

Offline Taj

• View Profile
Rescue 111
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 03:39:09 pm »
In order to discuss whether lessons were learned from the Tramore tragedy one has to look at the Air Corps most recent deployment to a new location, Sligo.We all know this didn't end well so the conclusions are mixed.
On the positive side, there were a number of different approaches taken.
More than one crew were deployed unlike Waterford-allowing crew to rotate on a shift basis rather than having a single crew on a callout as necessary basis.The obvious positive effect of this is that crew fatigue would have been lessened.
Secondly, a larger aircraft type was used-guaranteeing a greater capacity for fuel reserves if diversion to alternate airfields was required.
Thirdly and most importantly, the SAR was initially restricted to daylight operations until the crew had familiarised themselves with not only the aircraft but also the location.
However as a blue flu epidemic occurred allegedly due to safety concerns there must have been some negative points that havent come into the public arena.

Offline p.diddy.cool

• View Profile
Rescue 111
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 09:38:39 pm »
Hi gang,

The accident report is ( i think ) availible through the Freedom of information (FOI) its about 2 inches thick and is very extensive indeed...

Makes interesting reading, it was also online for a time somewhere i think!!! i'll get back to you, if not PM me with ur requests, and within reason and military law/ restrictions i'll see what i can provide u with

Regards P.D.C