Author Topic: Naval Heli Ops in Ireland -  (Read 874 times)

Offline Buran

• View Profile
Naval Heli Ops in Ireland -
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2004, 10:27:40 pm »
Whats the helicopter capability of LE eithne?

I mean, if the current tender for LUH and UH are not naval capable as expected, and the future tender for MLH is designed for a future bigger ship, then is the helicopter capability of the LE eithne now going to be wasted?
would it be able to accomodate any likely MLH?
does the navy really care given the curreny operations undertaken?
in recent times, are the dauphins routinely dispatched on the LE Eithne?

Offline Silver

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 12:07:41 am »
I wasn't getting excited.

Buran,
As far as I know the Dauphins have not been used on L.E Eithne for years.
Indeed I recall reading that the anchor points for the Dauphin's (on Eithne) have almost rusted shut through lack of use ?!

Offline sealion

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 06:32:37 am »
Eithne,at the moment, can accomodate a heli of 5tonne on her helideck,as long as that heli is equipped with A harpoon for deck landings. The Honeycomb is sealed as a matter of routine,with a sheet of aluminium,as anything that falls in there is difficult to retrieve.
The Deck handling equipment has however not been used for some time. This enables the heli to be moved into the hangar from the helideck in most weathers. A Bigger problem is there are few crew members trained in heli ops.
I dont think the Dauphin has landed on Eithne since about 99. Only 244 and 245 are equipped for deck landings. They also have crash proof tanks and foldable rotors and tail.

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2004, 01:13:09 am »
Yep, you're dead right there, Bitch! I remember flying down to Cork to see the Eithne as it was being built and I thought "....200 miles out in the Atlantic for 3 weeks, in that thing!" That's when I made my mind up to leave. (didn't get a Dauphin course 'cos I wouldn't sign up for another 3 years!)
How's it going with you?

Offline Sully

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2004, 09:49:30 am »
Since their finally investing in new heli's, why dont the DoD set up a small dedicated naval air squadron?

They could use it to investigate any 'blibs' on the radar when the CASA's arn't airborne or are otherwise engaged.  

I know the air corp and have stopped SAR operations (bar emergency's I presume) but couldn't the navy operate from their ships if they were nearby. Would probably get there quicker... I'm saying probably cause' it's a an educated guess?
Just waiting for the call....