Author Topic: Flight suits in Ireland?  (Read 838 times)

Offline Pink Panther

• View Profile
Flight suits in Ireland?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 01:48:17 pm »
Quote (futurepilot @ 16 Feb. 2005,02:41)
Out of curiousity, would the wearing of current Air Corps flight suits not be illegal in the same way as wearing an Army or Navy uniform is illegal for civilians?

The coast guard heli crews (civilians)all are issued with the same flight suit,gloves,helmets(different colour) as the aer corp.I would think that as long as the flight suits had no DF markings on them, as in name , rank, and so on ,there shouldn't be a problem .

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
Flight suits in Ireland?
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2005, 10:22:38 pm »
Hi there
I agree that the DoD would not be best pleased if some punter was wearing stolen gear out and about.Naturally, they have to curtail theft wherever they come across it.One can purchase, legally, kit which is identical in every respect to that on issue.Curtiss' stuff is absolutely identical and, in some cases, is actual official issue.He makes it, sells it to the Army and you can buy it yourself if you like.It is quite possible to buy all of the Irish combat kit(pouches and webbing and so on) because it is standard across Europe, except for the little "FF" mark.As for aircrew kit, the standard NATO nomex overalls can be had for about £stg 85, from flight-supply shops anywhere in the UK.Incidentally, there has always been an undercurrent of nicked stuff in circulation, but it's pretty much been killed off by the plentiful legal sources of supply.
regards
GttC

Offline Silver

• View Profile
Flight suits in Ireland?
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2005, 11:51:05 pm »
I am basically looking for a clean s/h flight suit to use as an overalls.

I saw a guy on Channel 4's 'Salvage Squad' wearing a s/h RAF flight suit (complete with black RAF badge velcro backing on show) and that got me thinking about getting one.

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
Flight suits in Ireland?
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 10:20:58 am »
Hi,Silver
get yourself a copy of Pilot, Flyer,Today's Pilot or Flypast.All of the mags show ads for shops that sell surplus flight suits, for a reaonable cost. There's probably a same-day shipping service from these shops.
regards
canner

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
Flight suits in Ireland?
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2005, 11:49:46 am »
Try www.Transair.co.uk  they sell Pilot suits for £89.95 stg. I use their shop in Central London and can vouch for their professional approach. A lot of their staff hold PPLs and are into flying, not just a shop, if you know what I mean.

Offline P.Doff

• View Profile
Flight suits in Ireland?
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2005, 02:47:52 pm »
Just a point of intrest.The new suits are totally new for us,(well, their actually unique!I'll explain later) we are not just reverting back to the green version of the "Brit" suit, but they are the standard issue USAF suit except for the inclusion of epaulettes to take the rank markings.(this is what makes them unique,the powers that be nearly spent double the amount per suit so that they could have them altered to take sliders instead of just sewing the rank on like the yanks!!)
They have no Kneeboards like the old ones,this facilitates the wearing of the G-suits for the pilatus jocks, which they were bought for in the first place.

Offline Guinness

• View Profile
Flight suits in Ireland?
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2005, 01:17:58 pm »
So basicly you're wearing RNLAF / BAF ones?

Guinness ':cool:'
Guinness is good for you

Offline Silver

• View Profile
Flight suits in Ireland?
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2005, 04:02:58 pm »
There was a tv programme on TG4 last night in which a couple of AC 'jocks' were interviewed.

They both wore a green flight suit and, interestingly, the Flight School Instructors suit had map pockets on the knees.

Offline P.Doff

• View Profile
Flight suits in Ireland?
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2005, 10:35:21 pm »
He may have been wearing the old style suit as some of them still do from time to time (or the programme was made a while  ago,the new suits have only been fully integrated in the last couple of weeks!!)
But the new suits definitly dont have kneeboards!!