Author Topic: Air Corps Aircraft Movements  (Read 662 times)

Offline Shamrock145

• View Profile
Air Corps Aircraft Movements
« on: March 19, 2005, 07:40:57 pm »
Hi All!

I'm new to the board, been viewing for some time, but this is my first post!

I've given myself a little project, and hopefully you guys can help. I want  to add Air Corps movements (fix and rotor) to Microsoft Flight Sim ...just to give it a bit more realism!

I've scanned the internet and can't find any 'spotter' data giving too much info on movements. Now I know the Air Corps doesn't run a schedule, but what I'd like to get is weeks worth of movements that would be reflective of an average weeks worth of aircraft activity.

What I'd need is the  Day, Time, Aircraft reg, origin airfield/airport, destination airfield/airport/area. Once I get it all together, and finish off some aircraft repaints I'll be making it all freely available online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Shamrock145

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 08:19:18 pm »
Hi Shamrock,

While announcing military aircraft movements in advance on this website is pretty much a security no no, I'm sure there are people who could help you out with past movements.

To be honest, if you are looking to re-create aircraft movements it shouldn't be too hard to make them up.

Failing that you should try the Irish Spotters Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/irish-spotters/ they give some details of movements at Baldonnel but the trick here is to look up the movement info for other Irish airports.

Here you will find information on Air Corps movements at airports other than Baldonnel and this should give you a better idea of movements by working backwards so to speak from the destination airports.  (Did that just make any sense?)

Hope this helps some, welcome to the board by the way.

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 09:36:05 pm »
Hi Sham
Why don't you just generate them at random? They operate at all heights,speeds, distances, destinations,etc, so why not generate your movements at such random condition.The only Corps aircraft that follow airline-style movements and operations are the VIP aircraft,which, in effect, are corporate aircraft, which means that generating a facsimile of their movements is probably something that has already been done for sims.The other aircraft fly at speeds, altitudes,etc appropriate to GA aircraft, except for unusual movements like high-speed aerobatics and gunnery training.
regards
GttC

Fouga

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 04:36:26 pm »
welcome to the Board mate

Offline Shamrock145

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 01:55:32 pm »
Hi

thanks for the replies and the welcomes!

I've already generated some 'random' flight plans, AC doing circuits around EIME, heading around the country, up to EIGM etc. So I guess that'll do.

So go give it a taste of realism I do have three specific questions;

On the MATS flights, what are the most common destination airports for each of the aircraft?

Are there any aircraft 'based' outside EIME (I read somwhere one of the  Casa's is in Cork).

Do/have aircraft undertaken training flights in formation to other airfields in Ireland (say 3 Cessna's head off down to EIKY for a flight or similar)

Cheers

Shamrock145

Offline futurepilot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 02:14:42 pm »
The Reims fly up to Clonbullogue in Offaly to drop off Parachutists on a regular basis.

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 12:11:22 am »
Hi there
The MATS aircraft fly wherever the Ministers go.Think Brussels,London,Strasbourg,Paris,Washington....etc,etc.
A lot of formation flying takes place in the Restricted Areas, when they are carrying out formation training or aerobatic manouvers.Formation flying doesn't take place in civil controlled airspace as a matter of routine, but it happens every now and then.An example would be a trio of Alouettes going to the Glen or the Curragh for troop training, such as I saw last week.That would probably occur at 1500 feet or less...Aircraft are not formally based outside of Baldonnel but would position elsewhere to carry out a particular flight, such as the GIV going to Dublin to pick up a Minister and then going to it's final destination.
regards
GttC

Offline P.Doff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 11:48:16 am »
There are no aircraft based outside the don these days. The only real scheduled flights if you could call them that are the 2 CASA's going on patrol each morning and returning in the evening. They usually patrol off the south/west coast and the west/northwest coasts so they would come under Shannon control at some stage.
Dont worry , this info is not "Classified" as theyve been patrolling for years and theyre not exactly un-noticable at low level around their homebase!!

Offline Guinness

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 07:50:12 pm »
Just for my info guys, why is this classefied info?

In Belgium and The Netherlands it's easy to put this kind of info on the mailing lists.
E.g. when the TLP exersises starts on Florrennes AB, Belgium a few weeks in advance the planes are know to the public including ETA / ETD.

Same on EHGR where every visiting plane is on the net at least a day before the ETA.

What is the exact reason for this in Ireland?

Guinness ':cool:'
Guinness is good for you

Fouga

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 09:14:54 pm »
It's the same in the UK with photocalls and training duties they always post up stuff you should see the pics on airshows.co.uk the airfield perimeters are jammed with spotters etc

Fouga

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 09:37:59 pm »
Look at all them Spotters who didnt see the Jag in the next pic ! it caught them by surprise

Fouga

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 09:40:37 pm »
Never heard it comin says the guy who took both pics!

Offline P.Doff

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 01:57:35 pm »
Doesnt bother me who knows whats coming or goin,but to keep the powers that be happy, its best to wait till after an aircraft movement happens to post it! Bit of overkill really, but keeps my ass off the firing line seen as Im a serving member.
In the UK they actually publish on websites and in local papers when military A/C are goin to be in the area  so as the locals dont have a hissy fit over their cat throwing a wobbly or their sheep commiting suicide or something silly like that!!
Sure the yanks at Lakenheath have a website that lets people know the movements of their F-15's!!! And their the most paronoid of the lot!!!