Author Topic: Iolar?  (Read 565 times)

Fouga

Iolar?
« on: September 13, 2005, 12:14:35 pm »
Was watching "Flightline" on Disc Wings last night and they did a bit about the Iolar and it got me thinking is she still flying? ? ?

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
Iolar?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 09:26:34 pm »
Hi there
The Iolar is serviceable but does not hold a current C of A, as far as I'm aware.It is checked and has it's engines run regularly but is not scheduled to fly any time soon.The people who look after it await the new Boss' decision with interest.It is kept in the Aer Lingus Commuter hangar on the West side of Dublin Airport.
regards
GttC

Fouga

Iolar?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 07:32:40 pm »
Thats terrible she should be flying anyhow!

Offline 202

• View Profile
Iolar?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 10:30:59 am »
Looked very well on Discovery. Does anybody know the location of the grass strip from which Iolar was operating on the Discovery programme?

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
Iolar?
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 02:30:00 pm »
Hi all.
The Iolar has been damaged in an accident in the hangar and is unfit for flight.
regards
GttC

Fouga

Iolar?
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 05:59:01 pm »
I think it was the shuttleworth collections grounds

Offline Fouga23

• View Profile
    • www.fougamagister.be
Iolar?
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 08:58:04 pm »
I'm not Irish, so what's an Iolar?
Belgian Air Force Fouga Magister
www.fougamagister.be

Offline Turkey

• View Profile
Iolar?
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 10:34:58 pm »
Iolar is supposed to be the first aircraft operated by the Irish national airline :Aer Lingus.
In fact the real Iolar, following sale by Aer lingus,[replaced by a DC-3/C-47] is a heap of twisted metal and stuff lying on the bottom of the English Channel, just north of the channel Isles, having been shot down during the early part of the battle of Britain , by a 'hero of the fatherland', AKA: scumbag, whose only sign of bravery was to slow down his ME-109 enough so he could put a burst of fire into an unarmed civillian airliner.
Ireland, no jets, no future!

Online Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
Iolar?
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 11:41:51 pm »
Hi Fouga23,

Iolar is Irish / Gaelic for Eagle. This is the name given to the first aircraft operated by Aer Lingus, a DeHavilland DH-84 Dragon.

Aer Lingus own a Dragon that is painted like the original.

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
Iolar?
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 04:16:02 pm »
Quote (Turkey @ 17 Sep. 2005,13:34)
Iolar is supposed to be the first aircraft operated by the Irish national airline :Aer Lingus.
In fact the real Iolar, following sale by Aer lingus,[replaced by a DC-3/C-47] is a heap of twisted metal and stuff lying on the bottom of the English Channel, just north of the channel Isles, having been shot down during the early part of the battle of Britain , by a 'hero of the fatherland', AKA: scumbag, whose only sign of bravery was to slow down his ME-109 enough so he could put a burst of fire into an unarmed civillian airliner.

To quote Mariann Finucane "hold the bell there a minute". Turkey you really should try and get it right before you post such an intemperate remark and inaccurate information on the board.
The real DH84 Dragon "Iolar" was EI-ABI and registered to Aer Lingus in May1936, it's former identity was G-ACPY. In Feb 1938 it was cancelled from the register on return to the UK and reverted to G-ACPY. A DH89 Dragon Rapide EI-ABP was the aircraft to replace EI-ABI. The DC3 EI-ACA (it was not a C47) was not delivered to Aer Lingus until April 1940. G-ACPY was not shot down by a "scumbag" flying a ME109. It was not "shot down into the English Channel just North of the Channel Isles" G-ACPY was on a flight from the Scilly Isles to Cornwall, the pilot (an Australian ) was Capt Anderson with five menbers of the Leggitt family on board.
A Heinkel IIIH was on a sortie to the Lancashire coast but received a recall due to unsuitable weather conditions. Upon emerging from cloud the aircraft commander/ navigator Lt. zur see Walter Klenck observed a twin engined camouflaged aircraft which he was not able to immediately identify in front of him. His gunners opened fire and it went into the sea. Lt. Klenck against all instructions ordered his radio man to send an open message reporting the crash and location,mentioning that it was possible that there were survivors. Is this the action of a "scumbag". The whole incident is as simple and as sad as that.
So The DC3 did not replace the DH84.
     G-ACPY was not attacked by a ME109
     It did not crash in the English Channel
     It was not flown by a scumbag.
     It was not in the early part of the Battle of Britain
I have met and or corresponded with many former Allied and Luftwaffe personnel, all have been most courteous and always helpful. A former Luftwaffe pilot who died recently was a great friend of many years. During one of his sorties as a recce pilot his gunner shot down a Spitfire and as a result of research I was able to identify the pilot for him. He expressed great delight when I was able to tell him that the pilot survived. In another incident I was able to tell him that the pilot this time was never found. He wrote a most moving and compassionate letter to a relative. Is this the action of a "scumbag"? I fear not. A great friend of mine once told me "always put brain in gear before pen to paper". He is still my great friend.You have the audacity to call a person a scumbag but not the courage to include your name.It is easy to do this and then just hide in anonmity.
Tony K

Fouga

Iolar?
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 05:12:47 pm »
Well said tony well said!!

Offline Turkey

• View Profile
Iolar?
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 09:57:28 pm »
The 'infomation' I posted was what I was told when I asked an errr, 'expert' on the subject.
Apoligies to all concerned....
Incidently I do not hide in anonmity, and I resent any suggestion that I do, my name is freely available, as is contact details,the name Turkey was used as it was unwise to use my real name on my former employers internet system, I have not changed it as recogniseable to those who know me.
But I can understand why someone would think that.
I will be more careful in future.................

Offline Turkey

• View Profile
Iolar?
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 10:10:59 pm »
Since , for some reason I cannot edit here, another post.
That was ment to be an apoligy , for being a bit out of order, and posting without thinking much......Looking back at I could have worded it a bit clearer.

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
Iolar?
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 10:19:33 pm »
Quote (Turkey @ 18 Sep. 2005,12:57)
The 'infomation' I posted was what I was told when I asked an errr, 'expert' on the subject.
Apoligies to all concerned....
Incidently I do not hide in anonmity, and I resent any suggestion that I do, my name is freely available, as is contact details,the name Turkey was used as it was unwise to use my real name on my former employers internet system, I have not changed it as recogniseable to those who know me.
But I can understand why someone would think that.
I will be more careful in future.................

It is not a suggestion that you hide in anonmity it is a fact.
There is no name against your profile. You resent the suggestion ? Well not half as much as I resent the rubbish you posted against people you know nothing about. Your half hearthed apology is pathetic.
Tony K

Online Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
Iolar?
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 10:25:28 pm »
Right Guys,

We all know where this conversation could end up, topic closed.  If ye want to continue this conversation please do so via PM.

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com