Author Topic: weather radars  (Read 676 times)

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
weather radars
« on: October 20, 2005, 10:25:40 am »
the weather radars such as the ones used on the dauphins are they capable of picking up any air2air contacts at all?!even out to a small distance for night flying?!
above and beyond

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
weather radars
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 01:53:30 pm »
Hi there
Weather radars work on different frequencies from air-to-air radars so they can only reflect off aircraft if they are too damn close! They are designed to reflect off the rain/moisture of clouds.The old King Airs used to use their WX radars, tilted down, to pick up ships, so I've been told.How true or effective this was, I don't know.
regards
GttC

Offline sealion

• View Profile
weather radars
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 07:00:55 pm »
If i recall correctly the Radar on the Dauphin is a 270degree search Radar(Omera), and not a weather radar as such but has a weather radar mode.
I'm sure the avionics lot will correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
weather radars
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 11:08:21 pm »
Did a few Fisheries on 232 and 234 the radar did pick up vessels, islands, coastal contours and also weather (which could be avoided especially at low level)
Tony K

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
weather radars
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 10:06:14 am »
this is the radar on the dauphin.found it on that site where the vampire was also!
above and beyond

Offline clan

• View Profile
weather radars
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 02:13:54 pm »
they are still a fantastic looking machine.
Who mentioned Jets

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
weather radars
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 03:25:02 pm »
they are and they could still serve us well for another15years if they were upgraded!there are a whole load of upgrade options available to us for them and im sure a cost effective one could be hooked up!but i guess the corps just want to start fresh with new craft! 'pilot_cool'
above and beyond

Fouga

weather radars
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 08:04:15 pm »
Strip em out and use them for light troop tactical transport and a bit of Camo like the 2 Dolphins in the film with george clooney you know the one where he is after the nukes?

Offline clan

• View Profile
weather radars
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 09:38:38 pm »
I agree Pilatus, they should find a role for them. Maybe if the option is taken up on the other two AB139's the pressure to sell them might be reduced.
Who mentioned Jets

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
weather radars
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 11:18:45 pm »
Hi Tony, like you I went on a few fisheries protection missions back in the late '70s and I remember the pilots were very excited when something appeared on the radar, it stood out as a spot on the screen. The missions were a case of cross country to the coast, 1000 ft patrols and if something was spotted on the screen it was down to 200 ft (or thereabouts!) to verify the regn. of the ship, radio our position to base who would notify the navy and let them sort out the intruder!
Generally it was boring just sitting there 200 odd miles out over the sea, wishing I'd stayed in the crewroom playing the inevitable game of 'Don (who thought up the rules of that game!) but the low level flight home was always good.
Have you done any CASA missions?

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
weather radars
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2005, 10:21:32 pm »
John,
Always enjoyed the fisheries and believe it or not I prefered the King Air, especially when doing inshore patrols. Very interesting at low level.
Tony K

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
weather radars
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 12:23:43 pm »
if the radar was pointed downwards you would definitly get a return for an aircraft as the beam would bounce of the top of the contacts fuselage and would definitly return!
above and beyond

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
weather radars
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 02:20:54 pm »
Hi Pilatus
Whilst it's true that you'd get a "return" from using a weather radar to "paint" an aircraft, don't forget that a weather radar is a relatively crude device and will show returns from a lot of things, such as coastlines, tall buildings, outlines of rivers, large masts, big steel objects like ships and lots of indiscriminate clutter.Proper air-to-air radars, such as fighter radars are designed to be much more discriminate and to be less of a blunt instrument and will be able to track multiple targets and scan for more targets. Using a non-specific radar such as a weather radar for tracking ships is pretty crude.Also, you wouldn't use one for a let-down procedure because it's too risky.The Casa's belly radar is miles ahead of the simple radar in the King Air.
regards
GttC