Author Topic: Flying Complaints  (Read 563 times)

Flying Complaints
« on: July 17, 2006, 09:51:41 pm »
Hi all. I've been wondering recently how the general public would react to a change in Air Corps flying habits, considering that low level (and night) operations are not generally carried out currently, but will probably be introduced with the introduction of the 139s. People may question the requirement for this type of training but in order to provide realistic training for the army, it will be a requirement that the aircraft are operated in a manner consistent with other armies' aircraft deployed in the same theatres as our guys. Do you think that there would be a massive outcry if people got the odd formation of helicopters whizzing by at 100 feet? How do you think complaints should be dealt with and does any one have any suggestions to minimise the impact of such training on the general population?

Cheers!

Offline 202

• View Profile
Flying Complaints
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 01:12:46 pm »
Timely comment ... item in last week's Leinster Leader newspaper with a number of folk from the Kildare town area complaining about low flying. Shifting activity a few miles west to over the expanses of the Bog of Allen would seem to be a logical move.

Offline Turkey

• View Profile
Flying Complaints
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 03:54:24 pm »
Bog of allen was the low level training area in the past, so I am told by a senior NCO within Bal', but I doubt if it is suitable in the present context, I doubt if their will be many almost featureless battle fields, just for the convience of the irish Air element , should such ever be deployed abroad, The glen and around that area should provide a suitable challange however...
Ireland, no jets, no future!

Flying Complaints
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 09:00:53 am »
The snag is that one bog or even the Glen is just too small. If the PC9s are going to use similar areas albeit at different heights they need quite a lot of space, as do the helicopters. The military operating area is pretty large, but happens to be over serious horse country. Many people in these areas are not aware that there is a large operating area above them in which the military can pretty much manouver as desired, but I would have to check the lower limit to see how this affects them. Obviously, the approach to this type of flying should be sensible, i.e. not flying directly over houses, livestock, crops and so on. I think Kildare gets more than it's fair share of low flying helicopters due to the military and wealthy civvies in the area all the time but as long as the aircraft are being flown in accordance with the regulations, either mil or civ, then complaints are a little redundant as no individual has a claim to airspace in Ireland.

Offline Pink Panther

• View Profile
Flying Complaints
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 09:41:21 am »
Maybe now is a good time to reinstate the MOA that was availible north of Gormanstown.I seem to recollect it ran from the Cooley peninsula west to Ballybay, Coothill area and from there south to Castlepollard.Its all realatively low groung compared to the Wicklows.The border area isn't a hot zone like it used to be.Its not as densely populated as Dublin, Kildare area.