Author Topic: PC-9's over Dublin City Centre  (Read 453 times)

Offline Shamrock145

• View Profile
PC-9's over Dublin City Centre
« on: October 08, 2007, 11:36:06 am »
Last week there was a 3 ac formation flying (what appeared to be) a route along the length of the Liffey, turning just past the docks and heading back up along the river.

Today, similar route but with a 4 ac formation.

All seems very tight and great to see. Just wondering, is it in preparation for something?

If not, can't help but wonder as to the wisdom of 'regular' tight formation flying over such a built up area.

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 12:47:23 pm »
Unless they are preparing for a Flypast of some sort over Dublin I agree it is not the best place to practise formation flying. But by following the river if they had to ditch then they could dump it in the Liffey.

Offline Bigwillie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 07:25:31 pm »
I heard they were performing a ceremonial flypast over the Áras during the visit of a foreign dignitary. King of Belgium according to RTÉ news. We don't normally see PC-9s in formation over the city because they conduct formation and aerobatic training over the less populated training areas to the South and West of Baldonnel. In terms of safety, I did notice that they did most of their holds prior to the flypast over Dublin Bay and that they routed back to Baldonnel along the foothills.

Offline Shamrock145

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 01:45:24 pm »
Thanks BigWillie

Hope his highness enjoyed the display, I certainly did!

As for dumping it into the Liffey, not much space between most of the bridges up steam, not very straight nor much width along up there either, and I certainly wouldn't want to be trying if the requirement to dump was as a result of a mid air touch!
 'yikes'