Author Topic: Flying In Ireland Issue January 2009  (Read 432 times)

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
Flying In Ireland Issue January 2009
« on: December 22, 2008, 01:22:51 pm »
Well done on a very good factual article on the PC9 Air Firing last September. Some great pics and even us mere mortals of ground crew get a mention!

Well done Frank! :applause:

Online Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
Re: Flying In Ireland Issue January 2009
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 05:13:43 pm »
Hi Claudel,

Thank very much for the feedback, I'm glad you like the pictures & article, it's nice to know I got my facts right for once!

I'm an engineering technician myself (non-aviation related) and I know from experience that sometimes techies get overlooked so I was only to happy to give you guys a mention.

As well as that, people can add an extra dimension to a photograph and I have to say that I was quite pleased with my photographs of both ground & air crews from the day, if I say so myself they are some of my best shots of that kind so far, it was a very enjoyable and productive day in fact.

Regards & thanks again,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:28:09 pm »
This was the first year in oh so many that I wasn't there. I was on a long overdue trip overseas to see the family. Next time you're in the Don come up to the hangar and look me up. Send me a PM and I'll give you my real name, you probably know me to see.

The only tiny thing in your article was the SF260 could be armed with gun on one pylon, rocket pod on the other. We never did it but it could be done. The rocket pods always worked unless the rocket wires were pinched putting on the tail cone, but the guns were a nightmare. The chutes couldn't handle any more than a quick squirt of rounds otherwise they empties and links couldn't eject fast enough, causing a blockage. Old ammunition was another problem, fresh rounds were always better. Just a poor design of the pod, which despite local improvements, we could never rectify fully

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 11:04:37 pm »
Hi Claudel,
I second that, great pics by Frank.
No need for Frank to PM you ,we all know your real name is Chipmunk Carburettor! :airforce_laugh:
Happy Christmas
Tony K

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 04:25:54 pm »
Frank, what camera and pieces of kit are you using at the moment?
above and beyond

Online Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 04:31:15 pm »
Thanks Tony!

pilatus, I use two Canon EOS-30D bodies and the following lenses all made by Canon:

300mm IS F.4
70-200 IS F.2.8
28-135mm IS
10-22mm

(IS - Image Stabilised)

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 04:47:42 pm »
Great camera and value for money.Have you ever used the Olympus E3 Frank?im contemplating upgrading to it from the E520 as they are going quite cheap becasue of the weak strength of the sterling pound.They can be bought for as little as 800euro if you shop around.I was also considering switching to canon also, i really like them, they have a great solid feel and a brilliant finish, but im a bit hesitant because all my lenses are 4/3's, so i cant use them on a canon body.
above and beyond

Offline FiannaFail

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 10:36:18 pm »
Your are a national asset Frank. :ireland:
FiannaFail
Patricia Guerin