Author Topic: Why, how and what jets the IAC should get.  (Read 3195 times)

Offline CK

• View Profile
Re: Why, how and what jets the IAC should get.
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2010, 05:44:10 pm »
As you said we need jets in case of civil war in the North. Chances with the Torries being the next government in the  U.K they probly wont pull out of there. Also in fairness no one is going to go unless the majority of the people of Norhtern Ireland vote on it as set out in the Ireland Act 1946. 

Offline CK

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2010, 07:44:35 pm »
Also for supporting troops. Jets really won't be great for that role. what you really need are air to ground attack helicopters like the apache to support them.

Offline bluefox

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2010, 09:35:06 pm »
L. P, If you read back over your own posts you will find that you did indeed inferr that the RAF is still in N. Ireland which it is not anymore.

I don't really have the time nor am I probably qualified enough to properly explain the differences  between ''Primary'' and ''Secondary'' radars in full but their are books on the subject under the banner of Radio Navigation which you can seek out for further understanding. Suffice to say a transponder responds to SSR radar interrorgation and sends back a signal which flashes on the radar controllers screen and gives a/c information. With PR this dosen't happen as transponders aren't used so stonger interrorgation pulses are needed to overcome this ostacle and other important factors thus making PR a more expensive proposition.

I don't know if transponders had been invented in 1940, they most probably had but regardless the RAF installed identification friend or foe systems in their aircraft which indicated whether an unidentified aircraft was an enemy or not.

As you said we need jets in case of civil war in the North. Chances with the Torries being the next government in the  U.K they probly wont pull out of there. Also in fairness no one is going to go unless the majority of the people of Norhtern Ireland vote on it as set out in the Ireland Act 1946. 

A bit of a reality check is obviously needed here - If the Irish Government and Army was planning on invading the North anytime soon then I doubt they would have just closed down nearly all of their border duty barracks last year as they have already done. 

Education is the Key.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:24:42 pm by bluefox »

Offline bluefox

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2010, 03:00:31 am »
Further to my last post and getting off topic a bit I looked into the origins of aircraft transponders and it turns out that the ''identification friend or foe'' equipment used by the RAF from 1940 which I mentioned was actually the earliest form of transponder.  Lucky guess on my part!

Offline Paul McA

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2010, 07:46:33 pm »
Well thanks for the replies and sorry to hear about your job Frank, Im unemployed myself at the moment. There were some decent points made there but my arguments still stand. Lets take the reasons to have jets first.

1.The hijack scenario is very possible, so we should have jets and yes, I would have one or two permanently in the sky for this reason.

2. Civil War in the North. Very possible at ANY time. Theres a lot of unfinished business up here whether you like it or not and the " Peace Process " is a joke for reasons too numerous to mention. Dont let it fool you as I said. WHEN it kicks off next time, note that I say WHEN, not IF, you will all be dragged into it. No we wont be going up against the RAF as some dismissive poster said, because the RAF wont be here, or cant you see that ? They will have withdrawn. We need jets to support our ground troops who will have to go into the North to finish this once and for all. The British will have already done a back door deal to leave the North which will ignite said civil war. I believe, as do others that this is their ultimate plan. The British said quite some time ago that they have no " strategic " interest in staying in the North. In short we need jets in the event that this happens.

What the hell do you mean by our troops will have to up there and finish this once and for all?!!
How dare you ! You are nothing but an ignorant bigot!

People in Ireland North and South are sick and tired of violence,the peace process may well be flawed,but it`s a hell of a lot better than having people being shot or blown to pieces on a daily basis

Oh, and by the way for your information the RAF have NOT left Northern Ireland;there are over 100 RAF Personnel still serving at Aldergrove which is now under Joint Helicopter Command(RAF,AAC and RN)

Online Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2010, 08:28:09 pm »
Bloody typical, I leave the country for a few days and World War III breaks out.

Pigeon, you are the most complained about member in years, a few people, members and non members alike, have asked me to ban you.

While there may be a small faction of people trying to ruin the peace process, I don't think they'll succeed, and as for suggesting civil war is going to break out that isn't going to happen.

I'm killing this thread as it's just on a slippery slope to nowhere.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com