Author Topic: Dealing with problems  (Read 585 times)

Offline pym

• View Profile
Dealing with problems
« on: October 20, 2004, 07:53:47 pm »
Just a crazy idea here:

We have a poorly equipped defence force, the healthcare system isnt working as well as it should (to put it mildly) and the transport infrastructure across the country needs further investment. All of the areas require large outlay of capital and sorting out all of these problems takes alot of time and planning.

We live in a Republic and as such every few years the people in power could be completely different. The problem being - if a government instigated a program of investment, their plans can get stuffed when the new crowd get into power. Then in turn they are taken out of power... their plans are lost and on and on..

Lets just say there was a 10-15 year plan of investment for the Defence forces, which basically over time would aim towards bringing all branches up to a high operational standard which could contribute to the EU RRF. All the parties would be consulted and would contribute to the plans final drafting so that it would be acceptable to all.
Is it possible for a government to get all parties or at least the major parties to sign up to this so that the plans would be largely immune to shifts in power, i.e. the plan continues to be implemented whoever is in power. The benifits being obvious.

This could work in Transport and Health as well and it would make sense.

But with these issues then no longer up for debate, would politicians have for want of a better expression - the balls to do what's best for this country? Defence isnt as widly debated as Health for instance and it might be easier to get multi party approval for a plan.

Anyway, just an idea.... feedback please

Offline clan

• View Profile
Dealing with problems
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 08:01:05 pm »
Great idea and it could work, but and this is a big but. We have too many personalities looking out for there own, i.e Minister for Sport gives more sports grants to his own county then the rest of the country where 95% of the population live.
(just an example, figures may be wrong)

But it is a great idea, McGinley seems to have some good ideas on defence. And he would love the input, I am sure. It would also help if we got rid of the bean counters with no military/Health/Transport knowledge advising the Goverment on our needs.
Who mentioned Jets

Offline pym

• View Profile
Dealing with problems
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 08:15:43 pm »
Well the big problem as you say the politicians ego versus the benefit of the state, which is hillarious when you think about it.

I think the Tallaght strategy was a failed attempt at something similar, aimed at helping the government of the day deal with the economic crisis in the country - it was instigated by Alan Dukes which led to the party (Fine Gail) promptly imploding with the clashing egos being robbed of something to beat Fianna Fail over the heads with...

Offline Sully

• View Profile
Dealing with problems
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 09:52:55 am »
Good idea but will probably never happen unfortunately...

Can you really see Bertie and Enda ever agreeing on anything?

And even if by chance there ever is a multi-party agreement I'm sure the "Hippie" party, I mean the Green's will kick up a racket.... but then again who care's what they think!?  
Just waiting for the call....