Author Topic: PC-9's exceeding expectations!  (Read 466 times)

Offline Silver

• View Profile
PC-9's exceeding expectations!
« on: November 03, 2004, 08:22:38 pm »
The excellent 3-page article in this month's Air International about the Air Corps PC-9's - entitled "PC-9 Gives Irish Punch" - gives the impression that the Air Corps are more than happy with the new fleet of PC-9's - particularly when it comes to endurance.

The article states -

"Recently a test was made flying cross-country on a simulated ground attack mission, returning to Baldonnel for aerobatics, circuits, more aerobatics and still more aerobatics before any thought had to be given to refuelling" !

The article also states - "There is a future posibility of liasing with other operators of similar types - among them RAF, USAF, USN, RAAF".

I'm sure the flyboys in Bal would love the chance to spend some time flying Tucano's or Texan II's in the UK and US or PC-9's in Australia !

Is there a real possiblity of such exchanges now that the Corps operate PC-9's ?

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 06:30:27 pm »
it is a real posibility!i think the corps might have sent pilots abroad flying marchettis before?im not sure though?im probably wrong on this one!?
above and beyond

Offline Silver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 07:49:08 pm »
I suppose the fact that they now have PC-9's would increase the possibility of exchanges all the more ?!

Incidentially, regarding the PC-9 photo on page 58 -

Does anybody know what flight suit badges the pilot and crew member are wearing ?
(It looks very like the last Light Strike Squadron badge to me).

Offline Silver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 07:51:23 pm »
...just looked at the pic again -
probably the new Flight Training School badge.

Offline Bigwillie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 06:07:10 pm »
Correct second time round Silver. It is indeed the badge of the Flight Training School.

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 10:18:38 pm »
hi all
i'm sure that the PC-9s rivals were considered, especially over a few scoops in Rio or Wichita.The best all-round package( not just the aircraft alone) won in the end.The Texan is the same, in theory,as a Swiss PC-9 but quite different, engineering-wise, and is designed as a lead-in aircraft, as well as a pure trainer. As for "exceeding" expectations, ask the people who have to keep resetting the flight computers about "exceedances"...
regards
GttC