Author Topic: Seafire III RX168/IAC 157/G-BWEM  (Read 285 times)

Offline T-41

• View Profile
Seafire III RX168/IAC 157/G-BWEM
« on: May 24, 2005, 10:52:33 am »
Hello,

This Seafire III is apparently the only survivor from the dozen that were operated by the IAC.

Apparently, she is under long term restoration to fly in the UK. Does anyone have more information on this unique survivor?

Regards,

Jan
Jan

Offline pym

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 11:10:08 am »
A regular here, Tony Kearns will have information if anyone has.

It'd be great to see an IAC Seafire III in the skies again

Some info I found on the net at http://www.iol.ie/~asire/aircorps.html :

Vickers Supermarine VS.506 Seafire LF.III

RX168

27/09/47

Withdrawn from use 27/10/53

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 08:03:30 pm »
Some components of an Air Corps Seafire were present in Bolton Street College of Technology in Dublin until about the early 1980s.  They may have been from this aircraft.  As far as I can remember, the basic tail unit, some engine cowlings, a Merlin engine and maybe some other parts were there.  Even if these form the basis for a rebuild there would be very little of the original aircraft involved.

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 09:17:44 pm »
Short finals is correct the Seafire which went to the College of Technolog, Bolton St. Dublin was Seafire 157(RX168). The last time I saw it, the fuselage had been dissected and the engine likewise for demonstration purposes. It was less wings. later a set of wings were found in the yard but in very bad condition. It is difficult to see how it could be rebuilt as not all the components went abroad. However following the rebuild ( or re manufacture) of Spitfire 161 any thing appears to be possible. Following a conversation at Duxford I came to the conclusion that if you had the original constructors plate you could then fabricate an aircraft around it and retain the original serial /reg.
Tony K