Author Topic: Spitfire 161 to visit Baldonnel?  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
Spitfire 161 to visit Baldonnel?
« on: November 05, 2005, 11:22:25 am »
An article in the current issue of "Flypast" mgazine says that Spitfire T.9 G-CCCA/"161" is due to visit Baldonnel this month for a reunion.  Anyone know any more about this?

Fouga

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 06:39:05 pm »
While on the Subject of 161 i found out that Ex IAC 162 is actually now ML407 which is of course the "Grace Spitfire" in actual fact the Grace Spitfire is the best known of the lot! Flown by Carolyn Grace. 'applause'

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 10:13:31 am »
Hi there
That Spitfire was ML407 before it ever became an Air Corps Spitfire. It served as a standard Mk.IX and is said to have claimed the first shootdown of a German aircraft over the D-Day beaches.It survived the war and the mass scrappings and was converted to a two-seater.I'm not sure but I think all the AC two-seaters were previously single-seaters with service histories.
regards
GttC

Offline Optic

• View Profile
    • www.brayairshow.com
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 02:23:44 pm »
Hi Guys,

As you know 161 attended the Irish Int Airshow @ Bray and was Weston based(at the request of ARC,re staff already based at Airfield)
I did hear sometime ago that a group of Ex IAC members wanted to bring the A/C over, they were trying to tie up with the Airshow in Aug. They will be doing very well to get in over in Nov with Wx etc!!! 'banghead'
Dave Scully

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 04:14:40 pm »
Quote (GoneToTheCanner @ 07 Nov. 2005,01:13)
Hi there
That Spitfire was ML407 before it ever became an Air Corps Spitfire. It served as a standard Mk.IX and is said to have claimed the first shootdown of a German aircraft over the D-Day beaches.It survived the war and the mass scrappings and was converted to a two-seater.I'm not sure but I think all the AC two-seaters were previously single-seaters with service histories.
regards
GttC

yes you are right again GTTC.alll the corps spitfires were converted from single seater configuration and all had seen active duty with RAF units.all T.9s were converted and only 20ever existed at all.
above and beyond

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 07:45:59 pm »
The Air Corps Spitfires were all converted from the single seater Mark IX. Five of them had seen operational service with various squadrons.One Spitfire 163 did not . It went to the MU's from the manufacturer. The Grace Spitfire ML407 IAC162 did see service over the beaches of Normandy when flown by F/O John Houlton 485 Sqn RAF attacked and shot down a Bf109 on the 8 th June or D Day +2. Houlton did however shoot down a Ju88 and shared in the destruction of another on D Day 6th June, but he was flying another Spitfire. The first Luftwaffe loss that day appears to be a FW190 claimed by 164 Sqn RAF flying Typhoons.
Tony K

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 10:51:30 am »
very interesting tony!were did you get this info?!
above and beyond

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 04:07:56 pm »
Pilatus,
Hours and hours of research over many, many years. Sources are many entailing equally many hours of cross checking, even then I get I can get it wrong!
Tony K

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 07:13:57 pm »
i see Tony K!no rest for the wicked! 'pilot_grin' keep up the good work my friend!
above and beyond

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 02:24:26 pm »
Spitfire 161 will not be coming to Baldonnel this month, hopefully early next year. I can confirm this from two sources one of which is Duxford.
Tony K

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 07:49:48 pm »
Thanks for that, Tony.

Offline futurepilot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 06:57:26 pm »
It was reported in yesterdays Indo that 161 will be returning to the Don next month for a fly-by and will spend the day in the museum.

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 01:06:26 pm »
The Spitfire arrived at Baldonnel today at about 1245. At least two RAF Tucanos are also visiting.

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 01:41:40 pm »
cool!hopefully there will be some pics of it this evening!
above and beyond

Online Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 03:40:16 pm »
Hi Guys,

161 was supposed to arrive at Baldonnel yesterday but couldn't depart Duxford because of the weather. As Short Finals said arrived before 1pm today.  

I was at Baldonnel yesterday but unfortunately I couldn't make it today  'pilot_sad'

However I had a word with one or two people in Baldonnel last night about pictures of 161 when it does arrive and hopefully I'll have pictures on the website before the weekend.

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com