Author Topic: Navy Helicopter Ops?  (Read 452 times)

Offline FMolloy

• View Profile
    • http://www.cushtacsurplus.com
Navy Helicopter Ops?
« on: November 13, 2005, 05:33:31 pm »
Quote (clan @ 10 Nov. 2005,13:02)
Unless the new ship the Navy is talking about is allowed its own Naval operated helicopters which I presume is still a no no as far as the air corps is concerned.

If the NS gets the multi-role vessel that's been touted, it won't have the facilities to operate helicopters. The NS doesn't really need helicopters at the moment. The Dauphin's roles are now being carried out by the Casa's & carries out all it's boardings by boat.

The Gardai allegedly wanted a British company to provide the pilots for the GASU aircraft (the company does this for many forces across the UK) but legislation prohibits state-owned aircraft from being flown by civilians. I don't see the GS providing their own pilots, the pilot's would probably want flight pay & the DoJ wouldn't like that.
D'oh!

Offline clan

• View Profile
Navy Helicopter Ops?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 10:50:13 pm »
Hang on a second here, the new talked about NS ship will not have Helicopter capabilites? Are you sure and where did you get this information from, can you confirm this is fact?
Who mentioned Jets

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
Navy Helicopter Ops?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 12:25:03 pm »
you will be able to land a chopper on the deck but nothing else no hangar no nothing!thats the word anyway!check out irishmilitaryonline!do a search on it.i remember there were a few threads on it!
above and beyond

Offline clan

• View Profile
Navy Helicopter Ops?
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 01:24:37 pm »
Pilatus
      I read those posts alright, but I am taking them with a pinch of salt. There are quite a few designs in discussion and most have helicopter capabilites and these seem to be the preference of the NS.
Who mentioned Jets

Fouga

Navy Helicopter Ops?
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 03:17:58 pm »
Quote (clan @ 10 Nov. 2005,13:02)
new ship the Navy is talking about

You can scrub that as i taked to a NS Officer and i commented on An Cosantoir's big Navy Column a month or two ago about Older ships being withdrawn and he said they are to be kept in service for a good few more years and nothing is on the horizon for the near future.

Offline SousaTeuszii

• View Profile
Navy Helicopter Ops?
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 06:24:37 pm »
I dont think the Navy will operate HPVs in the future although the Blue / Green ship has been muted to have the capability to handle helicopters, if ever purchased. Unfortunately this is likely to be in the form of a clear, load bearing deck with no hanger , fuel or deck handling equipment. This would be to allow the NS to utilise the deck for transport of vehciles or containerised equipment.

Offline clan

• View Profile
Navy Helicopter Ops?
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 07:51:01 pm »
I don't think they will operate HPV's either, but the much talked about possibility of a new ship should have Helicopter capabilities. If we are buying into this whole ERA, self deployable and self maintainable concept. We would need to be looking at such a ship. Interesting at the recent Military exhibition in the docklands there were quite a few Irish voices to be heard and they had a big interest in the latest Nautical offerings.
Who mentioned Jets

Offline SousaTeuszii

• View Profile
Navy Helicopter Ops?
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 08:12:06 pm »
Hi Clan,
Where was the Military expo. Was it in the Dublin Docklands or elsewhere? Any Idea what was on offer in this category?

Offline sealion

• View Profile
Navy Helicopter Ops?
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 10:30:45 pm »
DSEi. London.

It is generally accepted that the Hangar on eithne was an unnecessary waste of space. The Blue/green ship being discussed(and discussions are at an advanced stage, contrary to fougas disinformation...read the Flags interview again).

All the details you need are on IMO. In the Naval section, oddly enough.

Emer is Gone in 2007. FACT. She is having trouble keeping up with the rest of the fleet as it is, and it will be cheaper to replace her rather than struggling to heep her operational.
Another option being considered is the RN river class type, with a helideck, as will be seen on the proposed Falklands Patrol vessel.

The sources on IMO are pretty accurate. The problem however is those who rehash what they have read on IMO and try to pass themselves off as experts. Not everything can be posted on the net you know.

'stir_the_pot'

Offline clan

• View Profile
Navy Helicopter Ops?
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 10:41:52 pm »
Sealion is correct it was in Londons Docklands, now that was a Toys for Boys show. Maybe the sources are accurate on IMO maybe they are just close but not quite really there.
Who mentioned Jets

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
Navy Helicopter Ops?
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 09:54:25 am »
i guess we will have to wait and see what comes of this!if emer goes in 2007 a new ship will need to be ordered in the very near future(ie.months!).has money been allocated for this in the latest defence estimates?i havent seen them nor can find them.il have another look now and post of i find anything.have the navy said anything about the possible  cost of this new ship?
above and beyond

Fouga

Navy Helicopter Ops?
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 08:17:36 pm »
Quote (pilatus @ 15 Nov. 2005,00:54)
i guess we will have to wait and see what comes of this!if emer goes in 2007 a new ship will need to be ordered in the very near future(ie.months!).has money been allocated for this in the latest defence estimates?i havent seen them nor can find them.il have another look now and post of i find anything.have the navy said anything about the possible  cost of this new ship?

Read my above post for all the info you need nothing is on the horizon and old vessels are not going to be decomissioned until about 7years time or more hence when i talked to a NS Officer.

Offline sealion

• View Profile
Navy Helicopter Ops?
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 11:22:08 pm »
Quote (Fouga @ 15 Nov. 2005,20:17)
Quote (pilatus @ 15 Nov. 2005,00:54)

Read my above post for all the info you need nothing is on the horizon and old vessels are not going to be decomissioned until about 7years time or more hence when i talked to a NS Officer.

I'll be looking for this post when Emer is retired.... 'banghead'

Offline paul g

• View Profile
Navy Helicopter Ops?
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 04:01:21 pm »
According to Willie the last time he took dail questions.

The programme of investment is continuing apace. Last January, I signed contracts for six new helicopters for the Air Corps costing over €60 million. Planning is well under way on the replacement programme for the next Naval Service ships to reach the end of their economic life and a further 15 armoured personnel carriers will be added to our current fleet. It is expected that the contract for the additional 15 APCs will be signed by the end of the year.

Deidre was retired after 29 years in service, would have thought that late 2007 early 2008  would see Emer go.

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
Navy Helicopter Ops?
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 08:04:22 pm »
its as simple as this,until the navys roles change to more combat sort there will never be any heli ops carried out by the navy under their own name or the air corps for the matter!
above and beyond