Author Topic: possible weapons for the casa's?  (Read 685 times)

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
possible weapons for the casa's?
« on: November 30, 2005, 08:41:16 pm »
whats the story concerning the weapons for the 235s?i know they are weapons capable but what would it take to actually get them in the air with say 2harpoons?are the terminals already there on the wings but you just need to attach the hardpoints?and the weapons control systems,are they already installed but you just have to activate the progam or do they need more software installed to make these systems work?
above and beyond

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 11:08:11 am »
Hi there
I shudder at the thought of a Casa 235 lugging around a pair of Harpoons(to fire at whom, exactly?). The Casa is already a sitting duck, without making it a desirable target/sitting duck.I don't know if it is wired for air-launched/dropped weapons and I certainly don't recall any fire controls in the cockpit or any mention of pylons or hardpoints in the manuals.The only thing it can deliberately launch is flares or dinghies.Best stick to what it was built for,eh?
regards
GttC

Offline Old Redeye

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 03:17:34 pm »
Pilatus,

I'm assuming this is a purely theoretical question.  Otherwise I must assume you've gone stark raving mad.  What possible requirement is there for arming Irish MPA's?  And with harpoon no less.  Is there an invasion fleet lurking out there over the horizon known only to you. 'yikes'

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 04:31:40 pm »
There's your answer, they can fire dinghies at ships or other aircraft, provided the other aircraft if flying directly below them. Sometimes I think people ask questions just for the sake of asking !!!

Offline Hess

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 05:34:01 pm »
Regarding weapons for the 235,s. 1. Select reverse. 2. Get the f*** out of there! 'pilot_cheesy'
"There is no reason why the poor and wayward should not experience the full effect of air power" - Hess 2005

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 10:37:30 am »
oh so i guess its ok for american orions and british nimrods to carry anti shipping missiles oh and i bet they carry amramms and AESA radars to take care of fulcrums and super flankers when they turn up?!the Casa is a maritime aircraft so it should be capable of carrying these weapons in case they should ever be needed!oh and flyBOY yes i asked the question just for the sake of asking it!try to sound at least interested and make a contributing post rather than trying to make a joke of this topic!i see nothing wrong with my post i simply asked was it capable and if so was it delivered with the provision to carry them!oh and one more thing lets all go back to talking about getting our aircraft carriers and huge fllets of fighter jets then!to alot of people here that would probably make more sense! ':angry:'
above and beyond

Offline Hess

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 11:53:47 pm »
Pilatus, your question is valid. I for one was dismissive, but on refection, I would like to know if the 235s are "rocket ready". Neutral countrys buy weaopns to defend there land/sea mass and not with specific enemys in mind ie          Switzrland Austria  Sweden who have now know threats. Why should we be different?
"There is no reason why the poor and wayward should not experience the full effect of air power" - Hess 2005

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 08:39:23 am »
Hi all
Hess and Pilatus, ring Baldonnel and ask, why doncha? If the Casa was rigged for air-launched weapons, don't you think they'd have fired them by now? Tony or Frank, please print a photo of the underwings of the Casas to prove, once and for all, that they don't have hardpoints for pylons or, better still, a shot of the cockpit to show the absence of a fire control panel.
regards
GttC

Offline Hess

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 05:16:47 pm »
Called,no answer.

Offline Hess

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 05:50:35 pm »
Still calling ,still no answer 'pilot_cheesy'

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 09:57:51 pm »
Hess
Maybe you're ringing Gormo by mistake!
regards
GttC

Offline The Blue Max

• View Profile
    • Intelligence Officer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 10:50:47 pm »
Yea they only work 10-10.30 If your lucky!!!
Forfaire Agus Tairseacht
 Aer Chór na h-Éireann

Offline pym

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 03:32:29 pm »
To the best of my knowledge the Irish Air Corps operate Casa CN-235 MP's

The armed version of the Casa CN-235 is called the MPA.

A cookie for the first one to guess what the A stands for.

These versions can carry Exocet, Torpedos and Harpoons.

Dont ask me what would be needed to upgrade to the MPA standard. Besides this though, the weapons are probably so expensive that the civil servants would have a nervous breakdown at all that money going poof and so would be fired about as often as the RBS-70's.

If I remember correctly the EU had a role in purchasing the CASA's - and I think they have an issue with buying us armed ships to patrol our costline (we pay for the guns)

Anyway...

Fouga

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 09:07:16 pm »
I always thought that the Casa's in IAC service were MPA's anyway?

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 03:20:07 pm »
i think in AFM any time our casas are talked about they are called MPAs!?so i dont know?
above and beyond