Author Topic: Shannon US government  (Read 244 times)

Offline Hess

• View Profile
Shannon US government
« on: December 05, 2005, 05:53:25 pm »
Just a question that I would like to get some feed back from the board members on. Do you think that Irish military/civilain officals should break with diplomatic protocall and inspect     certain US government flights orperating in and out of Shannon? And what would we do if "something" was found?
"There is no reason why the poor and wayward should not experience the full effect of air power" - Hess 2005

Offline The Blue Max

• View Profile
    • Intelligence Officer
Shannon US government
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 06:21:58 pm »
Personnally I would not like to see the US goverment aircraft boarded as they are US teritoritie but the civilian airliner on hire to the US goveremnt should be inspected and this would show that we are a independant state which we are and make sure that that no national or internional laws are being broken. Who would undertaken such inspections Garda or Aviation Authorites???
Forfaire Agus Tairseacht
 Aer Chór na h-Éireann

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
Shannon US government
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 07:56:59 pm »
Well, breaking with protocol (if that is what is involved) would open up the possibility of US action that might inconvenience Ireland in different ways.  For example, the many US charter flights carrying service personnel, and the occasional US military flights using Shannon, might just go somewhere else.

How you would identify other "US Government" flights I am not sure.  Shannon and Dublin airports together see thousands of flights by US-registered corporate aircraft every year.  Almost any of them could theoretically be used for US Government business - especially those owned by air charter/taxi companies.  The essence of having an executive jet is that it does not as a rule advertise its ownership and those travelling by such means (e.g. senior business figures) would probably not welcome instrusive inspections of their personal aircraft.  In such circumstances they too might prefer a stop at Prestwick or Gander instead of an Irish airport.

Much of the media debate tends to present the issue in a one-sided way, without much consideration as to what the implications of a policy of this sort might be. I am not saying that inspections cannot or should not be carried out, but I would suggest that people think a bit more about the practicalities involved.

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
Shannon US government
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 12:58:49 am »
From the historical perspective, during the Emergency from the time of the first US military aircraft to land in Neutral Ireland (in July 1942 ) never, were they searched. Is this considered a precedent?
Tony K