Author Topic: Paddy's Day Parade  (Read 965 times)

Offline P.Doff

• View Profile
Paddy's Day Parade
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2006, 10:31:53 am »
No chance of that Im afraid!! Its safely tucked away in the museum for at least another week till a pilot comes over for it.

Offline Fox 2

• View Profile
Paddy's Day Parade
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 10:46:01 pm »
I recall doing 4 or 5 St. Patrick's Days in a row over the City Centre in Marchettis or Fougas. You have to fly at 500' or greater, otherwise hardly anyone will see you, due to the height of the adjacent buildings.
You'd think it's easy to navigate over the city, but in the Marchetti, the closest point you can see ahead of you is about 3 miles away (as I recall).
My abiding memory is leading a section of fougas south to north over O'Connell St. at 280 kts, 500ft approx (the Spire would be a bit of an obstacle nowadays!)
Passing over the Gate Theatre, I get a call from Dublin ATC - "Fox Section, No further North than Mountjoy Square please"
If you don't know the geography, have a look at a map, and have a laugh!
I believe something special is being planned over the city for the 1916 commemoration.
 'pilot_grin'
Been there, did that, have numerous tee-shirts

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
Paddy's Day Parade
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 11:35:15 pm »
I remember being on the Dublin Docks one day and watched as six Fougas flew in low from the sea and followed the Liffey back towards to Baldonnel. What a sight. Don't think the six were ever airborne together much after that. Army HQ at Parkgate were not too happy about the flight I heard after.
Tony K

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
Paddy's Day Parade
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 10:18:29 am »
Hi all
I, too, have had the pleasure of flying a single-engined aircraft over O'Connell Street.I was in a Cessna 172, holding at the "Pigeon House", east-west laps. A 1-minute leg at 90 kts will easily bring you over O'Connell Bridge, under strict ATC instructions not to go above 1000'. I had about six laps before squeezing in after a Ryan -200. Very entertaining, I must say, especially the thoughts of where to put it down if the Lycoming gave up.
regards
GttC