Author Topic: Air Corps at Collins Bks.  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
Air Corps at Collins Bks.
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 07:19:12 pm »
The latest response which I've received from the Museum is:

"As I mentioned in my last email, photography of NMI objects is only permitted provided the images are for private use only and will not be reproduced. We have now agreed that we will apply this policy to the two aircrafts that are on loan to us. Therefore please find attached the NMI's Photography Agreement Form which you should complete and return to me. You can fax it through to 01 67*****. Once I recieve this form we can arrange your visit.

However if it is not convenient for you to visit again I could arrange for the Marketing Department to forward you some press images of the aircrafts.

I have also been informed by our Marketing Department that images of the aircrafts will be available as postcards in the coming weeks."

I can mail a copy of the form and conditions to anyone who would like one.  (Send me a p.m. here.) The conditions attached are fairly stringent and you would be signing a legal agreement of sorts.  However if you want to have your own photos of these machines, it looks like this is what you'll have to do.

Offline Joe McDermott

• Screener
    • View Profile
    • None
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 02:57:25 pm »
The RAF Museum @ Hendon does not allow flash photography either (at least not the last time I visited).

BTW Still on the subject of IAC aircraft in museums, I put a shot of ex IAC Dove 194 up a few weeks back :

http://www.irishairpics.com/database/photo/1017054/

Regards,

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 05:10:44 pm »
Joe,
The no flash rule at Hendon was changed many years ago, I have used flash for some time now, in fact the lighting is so bad there that it is necessary to use flash. Great to see the ex Air Corps Dove picture thanks for posting it.
Tony K

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 02:16:23 pm »
Hi Tony, I took a group of Air Cadets to Hendon a couple of weeks ago, in some areas the lighting was low but only for effect. No problem taking photos. It was a great day out only spoiled because it is free to get in! The consequence of being free is that local mums treat it as a crech during school holidays-of course that's when the cadets are available to go.
One of the staff members told us that sometimes she's actually treated as a childminder-stopping kids from climbing over the exibits while their mums natter away, not caring what their kids are up to.
It's a bit strange the museum over there not allowing photos, though. Of course the Vampire isn't an Air Corps one though, is it!

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 04:19:48 pm »
Hi John,
Yes the Vampire is a T11 ex RAF. You might like to know that Vampire 191 is well on the way to restoration for the musem in Baldonnel. Magister 34 is the real thing. When it was restored in the late sixties it was finished in a non authentic scheme and with incorrectly shaped undercarriage spats, and again for the 75th it got another non authentic scheme. I submitted a number of the schemes it used in its career and the one chosen is a 1940 colour scheme. The spats were left off. There is also the question of the engine cowling. When first restored there was no original cowling to be found, Aer Lingus fabricated one but it should be in a highly polished mode and is also incorrect in shape, but hopefully not too noticable.It looks good. If you want any pics let me know.The attached shows M32 after a mishap at Rineanna in 1940
Tony K

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 09:41:35 am »
Thanks for that, Tony. As you know it was 6 of us from the 40th Apprentice class who restored the pile of bits in RAF colours to the pristine IAC Vampire back in '77-'78. Under the guidence of 'Rasher' McCann! In between learning about Fouga Magisters. So I've got a bit of affinity with that particular aircraft!

I would like to get over to see the museum again in the future. I'll send you a pm and maybe we could arrange to do a visit together?

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 10:01:28 am »
John,
That would be great, do let me know when you can come over.We can put in a visit to TF as well, I will mention it to him. It will also be an opportunity for you to meet Mick Whelan the curator who is doing a great job.
Tony K

Offline papa 242

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 01:48:48 pm »
Hi Tony and John!
If you did'nt mind, I would love to tag along if I may!
It's ages since I met up with either of you!!

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 02:49:45 pm »
That would be great Papa242, let's do it.
Tony K

Offline papa 242

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 06:05:29 pm »
Lovely!!!   John K .....Get your a** over soon!!!

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2006, 10:53:00 am »
No beer in the NCOs Mess at lunchtime anymore! I'll let you know but I doubt if it'll be too soon, more's the pity!
When EUJet were operating from Manston to Dublin I was going to bring over some of my Air Cadets, cheaply, but EUJet went bust!

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2006, 05:10:24 am »
Hi JohnK,
Could you prevail upon Her Maj's Flying Club to cough up a few quid? Failing that, offer to wash a Ryanair 737 in exchange for seats for a crowd.
regards
GttC 'pilot_laugh'