Author Topic: Dimensions of Spitfire Tr9  (Read 829 times)

Offline yeehah1

• View Profile
Dimensions of Spitfire Tr9
« on: December 05, 2006, 04:12:10 pm »
04-12-06
Hi there.
Can anyone give me the dimensions of the SpitfireTr9, please, as in height, length and wingspan, please?'pilot_grin'

Also, on a tail-sitter like this, is height measured from wheel-on-ground to top of hte tail?  (assuming a horizontal plane?)

Thanks in advance.
Liam
ps, how many feet in a metre?

'duh'

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 09:47:42 pm »
not sure of the dimensions!?id assume they are the same as mark1 spitfires which was the base model?oh 3.3feet in a metre!
above and beyond

Offline Guinness

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 07:55:58 am »
Yehaa 1,

try this site.
http://www.skhv.nl/frameset.html

It's the site of the Royal Netherlands Airforce Historical Flight and they have a Spit still flying.

Look for "vliegtuigen" on the left side and then click "Spitfire" on the top.

Hope this helps !!

PS. when you're in The Netherlands ask for a visit.
They're based on Gilze-Rijen AFB ( AH-64D opperations) and always wanting to help air enthousiasts.

During the summermonths I always see the Spit ( and other planes) flying around during the weekends !
Hmmmmm, Roll Royce sounds nice !!!!!!

Guinness

':cool:'  ':cool:'
Guinness is good for you

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 08:06:47 am »
I'm pretty sure the Mk. 9 was longer than the Mk.1, as it had a larger Merlin engine and a wider-chord rudder.  However the trainer versions were the same length as the single-seater Mk. 9, with the front cockpit moved forward a couple of feet.

Offline pilatus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 09:17:15 am »
Spitfire Specifications (TR.9)

Dimensions
Length    9.12m    29ft 11in
Wing Span    9.80m 36ft 10in

Weights & Loadings
Empty Weight 2,297kg    4,981lb    
Max AUW      2,960kg    6,525lb

Performance
Max Speed    371mph    597km/H
Ceiling    11,125m    36,500ft
Climb Rate    2,440ft/Min    744m/Min    

Engine
One Rolls Royce Merlin 45 liquid cooled V-12 piston engine, producing 1,440hp

these came up on a search on google!hope they help!iv got the definite dimensions at home in the book titled "AVIATION BOOK THE WORLDS AIRCRAFT FROM A-Z" By CAOIMH, FIA O  its a good book with drawing of air corps aircraft in it!
above and beyond

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 11:31:42 am »
Hi Pilatus,
If the details posted are an indication of the accuracy of the publication you quote I would seriously query the veracity of the publication. The dimensions, powerplant and performance listed are more in line with the Mark V series.

SF the front cockpit was moved 13.5 inches forward.
Tony K

Offline yeehah1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 01:31:24 pm »
Quote (Tony Kearns @ 06 Dec. 2006,02:31)
Hi Pilatus,
If the details posted are an indication of the accuracy of the publication you quote I would seriously query the veracity of the publication. The dimensions, powerplant and performance listed are more in line with the Mark V series.

SF the front cockpit was moved 13.5 inches forward.
Tony K

06-12-06
And yet, Tony, you offer nothing in response to what Pilatus has suggested.

Pilatus, thank you for your efforts to help me. I have found on a reputable site the measurements required:
length: 30ft, 6ins
span: 36ft, 10ins
height: approx 11ft, 5ins.

http://www.flyingzonedirect.com/aircraf....mk9.htm

Guinness: That Dutch site gives different measurements to those on the tr9 site:
Length: 9.56mtrs
span: 9.94 mtrs
height: 3.85 mtrs.
Interesting.

To all who replied to try and help,as always, I thank you.

Liam

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 01:45:54 pm »
Hey yeehah1, you were a bit blunt with Tony there! He's a font of knowledge but you can't expect him to know the wingspan of every aircraft the Air Corps ever operated!

Offline yeehah1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 01:52:45 pm »
Quote (John K @ 06 Dec. 2006,04:45)
Hey yeehah1, you were a bit blunt with Tony there! He's a font of knowledge but you can't expect him to know the wingspan of every aircraft the Air Corps ever operated!

06-12-06

I am not going to elborate on this, but all I have to say is  maybe.

Liam

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 01:56:06 pm »
He's a font of knowledge but you can't expect him to know the wingspan of every aircraft the Air Corps ever operated!

Thanks for that. But I do John!!!
Tony K

Offline yeehah1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 03:41:54 pm »
Quote (Tony Kearns @ 06 Dec. 2006,04:56)
He's a font of knowledge but you can't expect him to know the wingspan of every aircraft the Air Corps ever operated!

Thanks for that. But I do John!!!
Tony K

06-12-06
As I thought. 'applause'

And please understand, I am in no way upset by this, but I did expect it and I am terribly disappointed.
I believe, and have always believed, that knowledge is to shared. It's how we avoid the many mistakes and errors that often crop up when trying to research matters like this.

You see, Tony, in his infinite wisdom, has decided some time ago not to extend his wealth of knowledge in my direction due to a sense of humour failure on his part a few years ago.

Despite numerous attempts on my part to rectify the matter, he still chooses to ignore my requests for help.
You'll note his response was directed at an earlier poster and there was just enough information to inform him he was in error while there being none present to actually answer the question.

But it's all good...there are other sources for this information and that is the route I have taken. I had thought this was the best place to suss this kind of thing but I was wrong.

To those who tried to help, thank you. You are gentlemen one and all.

Liam

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 09:00:36 pm »
Hi there
As far as I know, the Don's Tr.9s used the Merlin 66, which was originally designed for the Lancaster.The Mark IX was the last of the Spitfires to retain any semblance of the Mark 1, given that the V was first flown as a modified Mk.1 and the IX flown as a modified V. In addition to the factory-built Tr.9s, I believe that there were some field-modified two-seaters (India, USSR).....Tailwheelers are traditionally measured from their highest point(be it tail fin or prop tip) in the normal, taildown position.Manufacturer's three-view drawings also tend to show their height in the horizontal (presumably so that if they are jacked up, they won't strike the roof of their accomodation.
regards
GttC

Offline yeehah1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 10:18:34 pm »
Quote (GoneToTheCanner @ 06 Dec. 2006,12:00)
Hi there
Tailwheelers are traditionally measured from their highest point(be it tail fin or prop tip) in the normal, taildown position.
GttC

06-12-06
Thanks  GonetotheCanner. This will help.
I appreciate the information
Liam

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 09:34:48 am »
GttC, you really are an aerosexual! How did you get all that information?
Yeehah1, I don't know what the history is between you and Tony, but I do remember during my time in the 'Don, back in the '70s and '80s, Tony was a regular visitor as a guest of Officers and ORs alike. If there's anything he doesn't know about Baldonnel and the Irish Air Corps-and the staff-it can't be worth knowing. He has helped many people out on this notice board over the last couple of years.

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 10:27:16 am »
Thanks for that John. I have to say that I always enjoyed the hospitality of everyone at Baldonnel ( and still do) from the GOC to the person sweeping the hangar,from the Officers Mess to the Canner.
In case of a misunderstanding regarding my remark that I do have the dimensions of all the Air Corps aircraft. It is part of the information contained in my Air Corps Directory which is over 95% complete in its composition. This comprises aircraft type and engine, serial number , delivery date, final flight date, total hours , units assigned to in its service history, colour schemes and eventaul fate. This is assembled from my individual aircraft files researched over a lifetime.
If Frank is interested and there is sufficient interest I would consider attaching it to the site.
Tony K