Author Topic: First Irish Air Shows  (Read 530 times)

Offline Downunder

• View Profile
First Irish Air Shows
« on: June 04, 2007, 02:02:19 pm »
Hi Guys,

I was looking to see if anyone could help me with dates of the first few Air Shows in Ireland.

If my memory serves me right the first one was at Fairyhouse and the next at Baldonnel. I also think the Baldonnel show was the first time the Red Arrows performed in Ireland.

Any help with confirming this and dates of the first few shows would be much appreciated.

Regards
Downunder

Offline clog

• View Profile
First Irish Air Shows
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 05:03:30 pm »
First airshow at baldonnell was in 1987 if my memory serves me right but this is open to correction.

Offline Joe McDermott

• Screener
    • View Profile
    • None
First Irish Air Shows
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 09:09:03 pm »
I think the first Fairyhouse was August 1978.  

The late Madeline O'Rourke wrote a book called "Air Spectatulars - Air Displays in Ireland" by Glendale, 1989. Covered everything right back to the Pheonix Park days !

Offline Brian McGrath

• View Profile
First Irish Air Shows
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 10:09:30 pm »
Could be wrong on this one but I think Abbeyshrule and belive or not there used to be Air Shows in Glenamaddy Co Galway in the good old days and also at the Army airstrip at Oranmore where I saw my first Fouga. I was at Glenamaddy one year when a light aircraft crashed on take off, as luck would have it an Air Corps Allouette was there and airlifted the two injured crew to Galway. Have pics somewhere of the incident

Offline Downunder

• View Profile
First Irish Air Shows
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 12:03:01 pm »
Thanks for your input guys.

I had thought the first Fairyhouse, Baldonnell shows were around 1980-1983.

I will try and follow up on the book you mention Joe.

Regards

Downunder

Offline Joe McDermott

• Screener
    • View Profile
    • None
First Irish Air Shows
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 02:04:58 pm »
Hi Downunder & Brian,

Abbeyshrule Air Showns go back at least as far as the late 60's ! Even before they were held at the present airfield, there were several shows at the old Abbeyshrule down the road. Folklore was that a Air Corps Vampire blew down a farm gate during a low pass. Maybe even true !

Ted McGoey at the Rustic Inn is the man for Abbeyshrule airfield history.

Dont remember show at Glenamaddy but do remember helping put up the first wind sock there along with 3 fellow Dubs. Rallye G-ATIW was the aero club mount, later became EI-BCH.

Offline Brian McGrath

• View Profile
First Irish Air Shows
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 04:21:35 pm »
Hi Joe.

I went to several air shows in Glenamaddy, they were held I think on a private airstrip owned by the local doctor. The plane that crashed one year was a Rallye I wonder if that was the club one, it was very badly damaged and the crew were trapped inside for some time before being airlifted to Galway Hospital, the Air Corps used to to demos with the Alouette Helicopter including lifting a 25 pounder gun or something similar that the Army would have on display there. would that accident be in Air Corps records of incidents they attended.

Does anyone else remember Glenamaddy it would not have been advertised nationally.