Author Topic: Irish Air Ambulances  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Vulcan

• View Profile
Irish Air Ambulances
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 10:41:59 am »
As a matter of interest, are these regulations specific to Ireland as the air ambulances we see on the TV, particularly in the UK, seem to be able to land in very confined spaces, school playing fields and playgrounds, roads etc, and some of the Hospital pads are very close to the main hospital buildings even more so than the pad at Galway hospital.  I know its a case of life or death, but surely, if an air ambulance is needed that would be the case anyway.  I suppose you would still need a dedicated air ambulance for that.  Anyone have anything on the 32 county charity air ambulance service that will be based in Kerry due to start next summer.  As most of the UK and European air ambulances are charities, may this one will be a different story.

Offline SousaTeuszii

• View Profile
Irish Air Ambulances
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »
Hi Vulcan,
I cant specifically answer your question but I do know that the UK have a HEMS section in their regulations much like the Police Air Operators manual which may allow some lee way. Ireland to my knowledge has neither.
However the fact remains that all aircraft operating in congested or hostile areas must do so with class one performance. Obviously this cannot be tied down to every field in the country so a lot would be the crews 'judgement call' except at designated pads were they must meet regulatory requirements.
The fact also remains that even if a HEMS operation is given a deregation to the regulations, in the event of an accident they will be culpable and liable. This is better shown by vehicles with blue lights. They are allowed through red traffic lights by agreement only and not by law. If they cause an accident breaking a light they are fully liable.

With regard to the 32 county AA charity, how many counties will support an AA based in Kerry? Will the Northwest, West and East, not likely. So whats the population of the southwest and how much are they likely to fork out year after year?
When we compare ourselves to the UK we forget 2 very important things:
1. The population of the UK. Each county of the UK probably has close to the entire population of Ireland if not more. This makes life a lot easier for charity collections in small highly populated areas which each would be served by 1 helicopter. Even with this, many have failed to reach fruitition.
2. The UK already has a very good road based ambulance service. The AA is an added capability not a replacement or gap filler. Our whole strategy is based on getting people help that otherwise would have to wait hours for an ambulance. Good idea but a day/ good weather only AA service can never replace a good ground based system. Lets get that right before we waste even more money.
ST