Author Topic: Which Jet ?  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Silver

• View Profile
Which Jet ?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2003, 02:14:36 pm »
The sad thing is that alpha may not be far off the mark.
However, instead of us getting F-16's, the USAF or RAF would probably just be allowed to patrol our airspace and maybe use Shannon (or Dublin) airport.

I have read that the GOC pushed for the PC-9's because they have HUD etc., and will allow AC pilots to train to 'jet standards' - which has a lot of merit.
Basically, it's as close they can get to flying jets, without actually flying jets !

As for Turkey's Bord Failte idea, it's a good one.
However, I reckon that when the PC-9's have 'settled in' we will see a new AC display team formed using 4 x PC-9's.

Offline irishsamourai

• View Profile
Which Jet ?
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2003, 03:07:15 pm »
the F16 ADF used by the US AIR NATIONAL GUARD is a good choice , the italian use it and the fly hours of some F16 store in US are very low ( 1500-3000H) and they can update with the MLU

Offline FLYER115

• View Profile
Which Jet ?
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2003, 04:40:57 pm »
Can someone explain why we did not purchase 10 to 20 F5E\F from the Swiss.
The deal listed below was signed around the time we spent €40 to €60 million on the PC 9s.
Could a viable interceptor force not have been procured for around €500,000 per airframe.
We could have had say 16 F5E and 4 F5F for €10 million.
I realise there would be additional infrastructure costs.
But would we not have been better served setting up a viable interceptor squadron and sending our pilots abroad to train to fast jet transition level to the likes of NATO Flight Training Canada.

I know we are not part of Nato but I am sure our pilots would be accepted as our money would be as good as anyones.

Is it time to question why we insist on having pilot training facilities in the country and no frontline aircraft for them to fly?
How can a modern first world leader like the Taoiseach stand up for all the world to see and announce that we will not host major summits because we cannot protect visiting dignitaries.
Is he saying that they are more important than the people who live here the people to whom he owes his first duty?

Source US DEPARTMENT OF DEFENCE

February 14, 2003

The government of Switzerland is being awarded an estimated $18,557,950 firm-fixed-price contract for the procurement of up to 32 low-flight-time F-5E Tiger aircraft. The base award of $570,950 is for the initial requirement of one aircraft. The contract consists of a basic award and five options. These F-5E Tiger aircraft will provide for a one-on-one replacement of current U.S. Navy Reserve F-5E aircraft. Revised fatigue life extended calculations necessitated restructuring of the previous overhaul program to provide for the cost-effective procurement of these replacement aircraft to achieve the CNO directed operational requirements through FY 2015. Work will be performed in Switzerland and is to be completed in August 2003. If all options are exercised, the work will be completed in September 2007. Contract funds will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year. This contract was not competitively procured. The Naval Air Systems Command Headquarters, Patuxent River, Md., is the contracting activity (N00019-03-C-0014).

Which Jet ?
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2003, 10:28:56 pm »
Why not F-16 afterall.
A lot of countries in Europe ( including mine) is selling a few dozen of them.
Belgium has about 24 F-16A/B stored in Weelde.
And Soesterberg and Leeuwarden in the Netherlands have a few as well.
Norway and Denmark are cutting their budgets on the fighters so I would recon that al together there must be around 60 (!!!) F-16's for sale in Europe.
I don't have to explain that spareparts, training and equipment are not the hardest things to find in those countries.

P.S. The Netherlands are about to sell 6 of their brand new AH-64D which are only about 5 (!!!) years old.
Any one interested.

Guinness

Which Jet ?
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2003, 10:56:12 pm »
Look at history. All the major conflicts where the locals have been outnumbered have resulted in guerilla tactics. I doubt that there are enough roads in Ireland that will take the Gripen, let alone the F5. And I know it's only 800 ft, you stick a fighter on a road for training and watch the commuters complain. HARRIERS. Lots of second hand GR3 and 4's. Small upgrade and you have a naval fighter capable of interface with future naval vessel designs. They can operate to the same conditions as a heli and require minimal space. Dispersal is maximised, so it takes the bad guys forever to find them and they can carry out intercepts, support ground troops, support customs ops and our trusty next door neighbours would train our guys. Huh?