Author Topic: Base Aerienne Baldonnell  (Read 985 times)

Offline Cloud Burst

• View Profile
Base Aerienne Baldonnell
« on: April 08, 2010, 09:51:06 am »
Morning All!

Without giving too much away, is the tower learning French? And are recruits going to be learning 'les marseillais' soon. What do you think of the new airfield name?? :airforce_grin:

I think it's a great idea, nothing like the sound and sight of Alpha's in the morning.

I am assuming NavEx and though I didn't see it mentioned here previously I assume the St Patrick's Day visit was just a happy coincidence ;)

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
Re: Base Aerienne Baldonnell
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 04:35:40 pm »
Wha.......?????

Fouga

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 04:38:34 pm »
Wha.......?????

Just think a certain poster was happy to see some Alpha Jets at the Don Tony thats all.

Offline Cloud Burst

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 05:35:51 pm »
Wha.......?????

Sorry Tony, trying some humour.

On a serious note though......what's the point in having the usual trot out of the 'jets' debate when we have them on a regular basis at the don with the added bonus that we don't have to pay for them (yeah yeah yeah I know the whole debate about air defence, hijacks etc).

From the point of view of a simple enthusiast it's nice to see jets again. Miss the sight of the fougas! This from someone who regularly has to swerve to avoid the median on the A55 going past RAF Valley scanning the skies for activity. Favourite moment was being buzzed by a Hawk flying low level through a vally in Snowdonia whilst I was on the way to watch Munster win the HC in Cardiff!

My office wasn't always facing the Don so maybe it was always this way but there does seem to be a hell of a lot more visits by our French cousins these days. Been this way for about a year now, hence the new base name!! Last summer it almost seemed a weekly event.

Anyway apologies again for the cryptic sense of humour! Here's to seeing jets in Irish skies for many more years to come.

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 07:42:38 pm »
Oops :oops: :blush: Sorry CB and Fouga sometimes as I am sure you are aware, I can be THICK. Really caught with my undercarriage down and no runway in sight.
Yeah its great to see the visitors and hopefully it will continue. I too miss the Fouga Magister even though it did not have a propeller.It was sheer grace.
Tony K

Offline Ascot 1960

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 12:24:10 am »
Hi All,most mornings I get up to the sound of Alpha's blastding down the Bal runway. the one's two day's ago (6410 and 6412) call sings...  navex France- Lakenheath-RAFVally-Baldonnel on the way in. pitty we don't get the odd  Hawk from 4FTS?