Air Corps NCO pilots

Yes ?
16 (72.7%)
No ?
6 (27.3%)
Possibly (explain) ?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Air Corps NCO pilots  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Silver

• View Profile
Air Corps NCO pilots
« on: October 30, 2003, 07:01:56 pm »
Is it time for the Air Corps to allow NCO pilots be part of the force ?

(I believe Sergeant pilots were allowed during 'The Emergency')

Offline Imshi-Yallah

• View Profile
Air Corps NCO pilots
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 08:04:17 pm »
In answer to Lurks question I always assumed it would work on the basis of NCO pilots being restricted to the operation of Light aircraft such as LOHs and Cessnas, or in the WO case medium lift helicopters and armed helicotpers.
Commissioned pilots who are more expensive to train could then be saved for the operation of "higher value" assets, such as fixed wing transports, and fixed wing combat aircraft.
‘The hottest place in hell is for those who are neutral’
Dante Alighieri

Offline alpha foxtrot 07

• View Profile
Air Corps NCO pilots
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2003, 11:59:48 pm »
it is most definitly time for nco pilots and how about some reserve pilots too.
you're not lost until you're lost at mach 3

Offline Turkey

• View Profile
Air Corps NCO pilots
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 08:33:48 pm »
The non-use of NCO pilots would appear to be nothing more then some misplaced form of snobbery.
It is a culture thing, and like many things about the IAC, it probally needs to change.
But, there is probally some civil servant, whose eyes are shaped like dollar signs, whos only thought, at the moment is. 'look at the money we could save!'
Given that that line of thought would probally prevail, how long would a Sargent pilot remain so, before becoming an officer?
Given some of the attuides which occure in this country, can you ever see an ex-NCO pilot becoming the IAC/OC?
Ireland, no jets, no future!

Offline P.Doff

• View Profile
Air Corps NCO pilots
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 02:21:38 pm »
It was proposed that we have NCO pilots again about eight years ago, but that fell by the wayside along with all the other plans such as having a maximum age for each rank e.g Corporal by the age of 27years and so on. I remember we were all told to be in the lecture hall for all these new proposals, but that was the one and only time I heard it.

Offline P.Doff

• View Profile
Air Corps NCO pilots
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 12:38:16 pm »
I'll give ye a good laugh! Now this is apparently true!
One of the lads on ramp a couple of years ago was anxious to marshell in the last A/C of the day so he could go home and get some kip for before his weekend job, flying civvie a/c!!
He marshelled in the a/c had a quick conversation with the pilot and headed off. The next day at the briefing in civvie street his P2 comes into the room and, you guessed it, it was the pilot of the a/c he marshelled in the day previous!!
I also remember a techie sitting his ATPL exams next to the c/o T+T and chief GIV pilot at that time. Bet he was miffed!!

Offline p.diddy.cool

• View Profile
Air Corps NCO pilots
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2003, 06:43:58 pm »
Hi everyone,

i do think that this issue was brought up lately!, Pdforra and raco may have been taking about it...... i only heard this so dont quote me ye feckers! ha ha, but i do think its a good idea.

As for reserve pilots (nice try Alpha Fox ) one step at a time!

Regards P.D.C. ':p'

Offline Lurk

• View Profile
Air Corps NCO pilots
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2003, 11:47:58 pm »
It would be a fine idea in most circumstances, but imagine this:
P1 in Casa, = a Sergeant Pilot of 15 years experience.
P2 in Casa, = a Captain of 5 yrs experience.

The conversation goes something like, (Sergeant) Sir, can I actually be the P1?, really Sir?

It just wouldnt work in the Air Corps. The NCO would have to be too subservient to the Commissioned Pilot.

Offline Silver

• View Profile
Air Corps NCO pilots
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2003, 03:54:34 pm »
How does it work in other air forces ?

Offline Lurk

• View Profile
Air Corps NCO pilots
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2003, 04:02:31 pm »
Culture.

Offline alpha foxtrot 07

• View Profile
Air Corps NCO pilots
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2003, 04:26:15 pm »
in other air wings, like the us army the person with the most experience in the a/c is p1. its not uncommon to see a wo4 as p1 while a major is p2
you're not lost until you're lost at mach 3

Offline Silver

• View Profile
Air Corps NCO pilots
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2003, 04:49:42 pm »
"Culture" has to start from somewhere, does it not ?
(i.e. start next year, then it's culture in 5-10yrs)

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
Air Corps NCO pilots
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 12:17:08 am »
Hi there
So long as RJ has a hole in his backside, there will never be NCO pilots! There are at least two NCOs with multi-thousand civvie hours, including turbine equipment.Much more experienced than many of the pilots and well acquainted with Donner pilots nixering outside.They have zero chance of ever flying for the Don, not being officers.
Scorpy's point about large forces using NCO pilots is perfectly valid.Training WOs to fly for the US Army is much quicker and cheaper than training officers, especially since an experienced NCO is much more useful than a newly-minted LT.
The Don has enough pilots, always had,especially flying desks,so NCO pilts will never happen again.As Scorpy said, if they wanted to fly badly enough, they'd have done it on their own time.
Apart from that, each Apprentice year has generated several active pilots, which goes to show that a technical background is a proven generator of pilots,and not the old class-based system.
regards
GttC

Offline SousaTeuszii

• View Profile
Air Corps NCO pilots
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 06:55:16 pm »
Hi Guys,
I have no problem with NCO pilots as long as they operate the same as everybody else. i.e will they sign a 12 year contract with no hope of early getout to cover the cost of their training?
regards,
ST

Offline Tech Crew

• View Profile
Air Corps NCO pilots
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 07:37:44 pm »
They can get them to sign a similar contract to the 9 yr contract all ac techs have to sign and put a monetry value on leaving. Commissioned officers have a different contract completely and i would presume it would be difficult to apply to enlisted personnel.

However if the buy out figure  was large enough it would serve its purpose

By the way, Its never going to happen!!!