Author Topic: Light utility heli's  (Read 1016 times)

Offline alpha foxtrot 07

• View Profile
Light utility heli's
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2004, 11:11:31 pm »
some perspetive on the cost of an avionics upgrade. we replaced the panel in our sf260. this is a former air corps aircraft. we put a garmin 530, garmin 430, HSI, 3 axis autopilot, garmin audio panel, garmin mode S transponder and a new six pack in the aircraft. its taken a month to get the work done. i did the test flight yesterday and it all works great. now the whole deal cost about 70,000 dollars including labor. refitting a avionic suite is not expensive if you do it right, 2 mil for each dauphin is a little excesive.
you're not lost until you're lost at mach 3

Offline sealion

• View Profile
Light utility heli's
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2004, 06:01:47 am »
Now I am not claiming to be a techie of any sort,but the CRT displays of the dauphin,with their associated health and safety risks would require replacement(who here has a 16 year old TV).I would also guess that if you are to replace the search radar display on the dauphin,it would be just as easy to replace the entire radar(270deg Omera if I remember rightly).
The Tramore tragedy also identified a weakness in the Auto Pilot(the weakness being AC authorities didnt trust it),this too would probably require replacement,and the current type is linked to the flight controls to allow auto hover for SAR.
As for Analog displays,the Newer replacements for the A3 and Gazelle in Eurocopter's brochure have relatively simple displays,with a combination of digital and analog gauges.
The USCG Dolphins do not have the 5 screen EFIS as seen on the Irish dauphin,instead having an all analog display,similar to that found on the SA365N,with local differences. It will be replaced in their service shortly under the Deepwater programme,possibly with the A109.

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
Light utility heli's
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2004, 12:21:00 am »
Maybe enough homework wasn't done when the decision was made to buy Dauphins? I seem to remember the pilots wanted something with loads of gadgets! So who's to blame? The Techies and SAR crews didn't get a look in at the time, as far as I remember we were getting the SuperPuma!

Offline sealion

• View Profile
Light utility heli's
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2004, 05:18:30 pm »
Yeah,the Army wanted the PUMA for all the things 212 had done so well,and the Naval service expected(and designed) Eithne to Fly Navy Lynx. All the promotional leaflets at the time pictured Eithne with a Lynx on her pad.

And then out of nowhere the Dauphin appeared...to do both jobs,and as history will show,it done neither well.

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
Light utility heli's
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2004, 11:30:46 pm »
Hey Sealion, I seem to remember around the time the Puma was on loan we had a lot of Haugheys cronies flying out to his island for long (and I mean long!) weekend breaks, funnily enough they used to arrive in big Renaults! You don't think this had anything to do with the decision to buy French do you?

Offline IAS

• View Profile
    • www.geocities.ws/irisharmoredvehicles/
Light utility heli's
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2004, 06:37:45 pm »
I thought the Puma was leased by a FG/Labour Government? I would have thought being a pal CJH would exclude them from Baldonnel and definitely from selling anything to the IAC?

IAS

Offline RAPTOR

• View Profile
Light utility heli's
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2004, 10:47:49 pm »
Any comments on the IAC being interested in a C130J and Agusta helo's for the distant future?
Ian Moore

Offline Taj

• View Profile
Light utility heli's
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2004, 06:20:27 pm »
Very possible Agusta will be a contender for the upcoming LUH helicopter contract.The final choice will probably come from either Sikorsky,Eurocopter or Agusta.
There is a requirement for a C-130 type to support overseas missions,however this has not progressed beyond discussion.
The heli contract is definite and will be advertised soon.

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
Light utility heli's
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2004, 11:53:17 pm »
IAS, maybe they ordered it, I can't remember too well, but the interior was re-configured on more than one occasion to bring VIPs to CJHs island retreat. Then back to Bal to be put back on SAR with the VIP gear removed and a rubber floor protector fitted for the rest of the weekend, only to be ripped out and seats refitted for the return VIP journey!
It was a very good, versatile helicopter (still is! as the RAF and Armee de'l Air know.)