Author Topic: Puma  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Taj

• View Profile
Puma
« on: March 18, 2004, 10:31:48 pm »
Just heard on IMO:Irish News
By Valerie Robinson

AN investigation has been launched into the discovery of the letters 'SF' daubed with clay on an RAF helicopter at the Baldonnel facility in Dublin.

Similar graffiti was also discovered a fortnight ago at Casement Aerodrome in the Air Corps base.

The RAF Puma helicopter had been on a training exercise in the Republic when the incident took place.

It is believed that the letters refer to Sinn Fein - a source of intense embarassment for the state's Department of Defence and army chiefs.

The commanding officer of the Air Corps, Brigadier Ralph James, ordered military police to investigate the matter and discover the identity of those responsible.

It is understood that the authorities are concerned that similiar incidents could happen in the state in the run-up to the controversial planned visit in June to the Republic by US president George Bush.

A three-man RAF helicopter crew had arrived in the Republic earlier this month to take part in exercises aimed at familiarising British pilots with Irish airspace and airports in the event of an emergency.

..........very embarrassing diplomatcally I would think.Now that its public,someone will be hung out to dry.

Fouga

Puma
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 10:33:55 pm »
Sad sad people arent they

':angry:'

Offline clan

• View Profile
Puma
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 11:09:29 pm »
How does someone get into Baldonnel, get as far as the Apron and then be there long enough to do such a thing and then get back out, only to come back a few weeks later and do it again. I know it is a big place, access seems easy, to do it once maybe to do it twice!!!! heads should roll.
Who mentioned Jets

Offline Alan_Devins

• View Profile
Puma
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 11:56:44 pm »
Such wankers! (sorry)

What is the point in that.

Al

Offline yellowjacket

• View Profile
Puma
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 01:10:16 am »
Quote (clan @ 18 Mar. 2004,14:09)
How does someone get into Baldonnel, get as far as the Apron and then be there long enough to do such a thing and then get back out, only to come back a few weeks later and do it again. I know it is a big place, access seems easy, to do it once maybe to do it twice!!!! heads should roll.

You're assuming that someone did.

Offline clan

• View Profile
Puma
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 09:39:12 am »
True, I did assume it was someone from outside. If it was an inside it is more serious then I thought. And I think it is very serious.
Who mentioned Jets

Fouga

Puma
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 12:51:45 pm »
If its from the inside then there has got to be something done

Offline Imshi-Yallah

• View Profile
Puma
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 02:48:43 pm »
Erm there are plenty of civilian contractors with official access to the don and an immature attachment to the babykilling peace campaigners.
Thats if it wasn't just done by someone called Simon Fahy or Susan Farrell etc etc
‘The hottest place in hell is for those who are neutral’
Dante Alighieri

Offline Taj

• View Profile
Puma
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 06:44:06 pm »
If the Military Police are involved I would tend to think that an inside job is suspected.

Offline sledger

• View Profile
Puma
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 06:53:15 pm »
Action to be taken over ‘SF’ written on RAF helicopter
Irish Examiner
By John Breslin
DISCIPLINARY action will be taken against a member of the Defence Forces who wrote the letters ‘SF’ on a British Royal Air Force helicopter parked in a hanger at Baldonnel airport.The letters, taken to mean Sinn Féin, were written in dirt on the body of the craft, which was taking part in exercises in Ireland.

Though the probe is continuing, it is known that the letters were written by a member of the Defence Forces who, it is understood, has been identified.

“Someone is going to be up for discipline even though all the indications thus far suggest it was a stupid prank,” said a Defence Forces source.

Defence chiefs believe the stunt was inappropriate and potentially embarrassing, although the three-man British air force team did not make a formal complaint.

“The British are not making a big deal of it,” a Defence Forces spokesman said.

Sources said if the situation was reversed and DUP or UVF was written on an air corps helicopter in a secure area on a base in Britain, the incident would be taken seriously.

The air force team and their liaison officer noticed the lettering on the Puma helicopter just before the craft was due to take off for the return journey to Britain.

The liaison officer decided to report the matter to the group duty officer. Brig Gen Ralph James, officer commanding of the Air Corps, was informed and ordered the investigation.

All personnel who were in the vicinity of the hanger in the 24-hour period between March 5 and 6 have been interviewed. In addition, CCTV footage of the hanger is being studied.

The British crew were in Ireland for training exercises. Pilots have to familiarise themselves with Irish airports and airspace in case they are needed for emergencies such as search and rescue operations or to transport transplant organs.

Offline Irish251

• Premium Member
    • View Profile
Puma
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 07:02:50 pm »
The reference to the need for "training exercises" is interesting.  The terms covers a multitude, I suspect!

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
Puma
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 07:16:49 pm »
i was just thinking..why f***ing bother doing that anyways..
what could possibly be gained from it?
fool..

Offline FiannaFail

• View Profile
Puma
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 08:56:41 pm »
A very serious situation indeed and if it was an inside job the person should be shown the gate straight away as it could representas serious security risk in the future.  These people give this country a very bad name.
FiannaFail ':angry:'
Patricia Guerin

Offline sealion

• View Profile
Puma
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 09:26:21 pm »
For once I agree completely with FF. This sort of behaviour must not be condoned,and an example must be made of this individual,whatever his motives.

Offline alpha foxtrot 07

• View Profile
Puma
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 10:47:02 pm »
the person who did this should spend some time in jail and then get a dishonorable discharge.
you're not lost until you're lost at mach 3