Author Topic: Puma's?  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Silver

• View Profile
Puma's?
« on: May 05, 2004, 01:27:09 pm »
Would it be better to purchase 4 Puma's rather than the EC135/145's ?

Better lift capacities ?

Offline Imshi-Yallah

• View Profile
Puma's?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 01:44:58 pm »
Would it be better if I could stay fit without having to work my posterior off every single day...
Yes

Whats your point
‘The hottest place in hell is for those who are neutral’
Dante Alighieri

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
Puma's?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 04:38:26 pm »
Well done Silver! Pumas should have been bought 20 years ago!

Offline Guinness

• View Profile
Puma's?
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 09:05:27 pm »
What about Cougars guys?

Guinness
Guinness is good for you

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
Puma's?
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 11:12:01 pm »
Cougars? Aren't they just a Dauphin with a green paint job? Can't compete with the Puma for medium lift capability! Cabin size, etc. Yeah, they're more modern with more up to date avionics but when you've got a section of recruits diving in the door with their rifles in their outstretched hands, hole in the roof time!

Offline VonTaunitz

• View Profile
Puma's?
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 03:19:52 am »
Silver while Pumas would be better for troop transport etc it would still leave the need for light helecopters for training purposes and everyones favourite job, ministerial transport.

I sincerely hope the LUHs are being looked at as only part of the jig saw. Medium lift heli's are a must.

JohnK The cougar is an improved version of the Puma rather than the Dauphin. I think the revised/remarketed Dauphin is called the Panther or something.

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
Puma's?
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 10:28:28 am »
Cheers for putting me up to date VonTaunitz (where did you get that moniker from?) It's been a long time since I handled a big chopper! (ooer missus!!)
Cougars must be considered then.

Offline clan

• View Profile
Puma's?
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 02:56:21 pm »
Surely at $1.5m ea(second hand SAAF) a few Pumas should be bought anyway. They could be used in a variety of roles.
Who mentioned Jets

Offline Imshi-Yallah

• View Profile
Puma's?
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 03:16:06 pm »
I wonder though would there be problems with using the SAAFs heavily modified for the african environment Pumas here.
And they are quite old.
‘The hottest place in hell is for those who are neutral’
Dante Alighieri

Offline clan

• View Profile
Puma's?
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 09:31:32 pm »
I should not think there would be any problem using them, they have fitted larger tanks which can only be a benefit. And the engines and airframes have been completly overhauled so they should be good few years of use in the craft. For $3 for two you cannot go wrong.
Who mentioned Jets

Offline VonTaunitz

• View Profile
Puma's?
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 10:12:11 pm »
While there is merit in your suggestion, I personally feel the Air Corps should only go for new equipment. Or at least equipment made in the last 5 years.

Yes its much more costly, but buying secondhand your merely getting a second rate aircraft that will serve half the time. It would be a stopgap. Paying 3 million for a stop gap doesnt make sense to me.

If the Air Corps have a future in which they support the defence forces abroad, then they need the best, most modern equipment.

Offline clan

• View Profile
Puma's?
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 09:22:27 am »
VT, I totally agree new aircraft is the way to go. But as it looks like we are only getting 2 EC135's and 4 EC 145's then an extra 3 Million, a third of the price of the Lear jet will get you two perectly good Pumas, that you can get ten years of fun out of.
But if the money and will is there new more modern ML's would be perfect.
Who mentioned Jets

Offline FMolloy

• View Profile
    • http://www.cushtacsurplus.com
Puma's?
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 12:18:45 pm »
Here's what is says in the minister's latest press release:

With the arrival of the new training aircraft, the focus is now on the acquisition of Light Utility Helicopters for the Air Corps. In that regard, the Minister indicated that the tender documentation for the competition for the procurement of Light Utility Helicopters for the Air Corps is nearing completion, adding that he expects the competition to commence very shortly.

This indicates that there will be a competition for the LUH, so there's no point in saying "it looks like we are only getting 2 EC135's and 4 EC 145's".
D'oh!

Offline Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
Puma's?
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2004, 12:25:29 pm »
Hi Guys,

Here's a link to the Government's eTenders website.  Any requests for tenders can be found here.

Nothing has been published yet with regards to a helicopter purchase.

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/search_main.aspx

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline clan

• View Profile
Puma's?
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2004, 12:50:23 pm »
Fmolloy, Chill out. EC135/EC145 are these not classed as LUH'S, when I mentioned 135/145. It was only because it has been mentioned before as the "Choice". My point was the Pumas to complement the 6 LUH's. But you must not have read that part.
Who mentioned Jets