Author Topic: Fighter Pilot Museum  (Read 245 times)

Offline Silver

• View Profile
Fighter Pilot Museum
« on: August 07, 2004, 09:38:05 am »
I had a very interesting visit today to the Fighter Pilot Museum in Wanaka, New Zealand.

The people involved with the museum have done a super job both with regard to the restoration of the aircraft on display, and the presentation of the NZ fighter pilot story.

The display includes (amongst others) a Spitfire, a Tiger Moth, a SE5A (WW1 bi-plane), a Foker WW1 tri-plane and a 'blueprint' Hawker Hurricane - the only airworthy Battle of France Hurricane in the world.

I also had an interesting chat with the (very helpful) museum curator, Graham Taylor. We spoke about the withdrawl of the RNZAF Combat Wing, and it would seem that the average Kiwi doesn't have a lot of interest in airforce (defence) matters, as is the case in Ireland.
He also said that having an aircraft such as the PC-9 in the RNZAF would be a positive step, as it would provide the RNZAF with armed aircraft once again.

Offline 202

• View Profile
Fighter Pilot Museum
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 11:50:48 am »
Interesting report, Silver. I actually passed Wanaka on a very wet day last September en route from Queenstown to Franz Josef so only got to have a look in as we were passing.

I think NZ has got the right idea with their airforce. They are not in any particular strategic position, the level of threat is minimal,  and really they need to concentrate their resources on long range transport to facilitate some UN and other committments on some pacific islands and also maintain a maritime capability. Combat aircraft are a luxury in the NZ scenario.