Author Topic: SIAI Marchetti SF.260  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Silver

• View Profile
SIAI Marchetti SF.260
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2004, 08:28:05 am »
Hi Bailer,

Interesting !
Sanity prevails at the DoD at last !!

When was this auction ?

Any more coming up that you know of ?

Cheers,
Silver.

Offline Claudel Hopson

• View Profile
SIAI Marchetti SF.260
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2004, 12:43:29 pm »
Just to clarify a few things.

231 was one of the second batch of six aircraft delivered in 1977. It did not replace 223 or 235. 235 replaced 224 which was written off in July 1978. There were no replacements for 223, 228 or 235.

The three white SF260D were leased for a year-ish as most of our Marchetti's were tied up on IRAN inspections.

The SF260WE stands for SIAI (the Company) Fratti (the Designer) 260 (Horsepower) Warrior Eire.

Fouga

SIAI Marchetti SF.260
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2004, 07:25:50 pm »
Whats IRAN?

Online Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
SIAI Marchetti SF.260
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2004, 07:39:34 pm »
Inspect and Repair As Necessary
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
SIAI Marchetti SF.260
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2004, 09:27:27 pm »
Hi Tony, I've got a photo of the Transalls on the ramp at Baldonnel when they collected the vampire! It was around the time of the Pope arriving I seem to remember, we had nearly all our a/c on the ramp I'd never seen it so busy!

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
SIAI Marchetti SF.260
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2004, 08:02:51 pm »
Hi John,
Vampire 185 went to France in 1978. The pope arrived a year later. It took three trips by the Transalls to take Vampire 185 to France.On 3 Feb 1978 the main part, fuselage and engine was taken, then on 27 April a wing and some more parts were collected and on 20 Dec 1978 it took the other wing. I was present all three occasions and I will never forget the rain on the first visit, a good job the Transall has a huge wing to shelter under.
Kind regards
Tony K

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
SIAI Marchetti SF.260
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2004, 04:51:30 am »
Hi all
I stand corrected on which Marchetti replaced which. An IRAN inspection is one carried out on a Military aircraft and would be the equivalent of a "D" check on a civil transport aircraft.Basically, the aircraft is taken to pieces and everything is overhauled.On the Marchetti, this meant that at 1500 hrs elapsed flight time, the engine,instruments,etc came off the airframe and went for overhaul and the airframe was stripped to the skin and had all the lifed items such as wing-bolts, undercarriage,pumps and motors,etc exchanged for new units.Also,the aircraft were repainted.It generally took the Don 8 mths-1 yr to do each aircraft(except when they had Skull and Sailor in, who did the same job in 2 months, but that's another story). Unlike a civvie C of A, cost is/was not an issue and the aircraft were as good as new, literally, when they came out.
regards
GttC

Offline Stinger

• View Profile
SIAI Marchetti SF.260
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2004, 01:21:10 pm »
skull and sailor?
There's no problem which cannot be fixed with high explosives

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
SIAI Marchetti SF.260
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2004, 11:23:32 pm »
hi there
"skull" and "sailor" were two ex-ers who were hired in under Irish Helicopters' cover to carry out the IRANs.We were ordered to give them TOTAL co-operation.They had, to use a phrase,"access all areas" and their requests were given first priority.They did a minimum of twelve hours a day,including saturdays and were a pleasure to work with,as well as professional,efficient and good crack as well.The IRANs got completed in record time.
regards
GttC

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
SIAI Marchetti SF.260
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2004, 12:49:57 am »
GTTC always great to learn something new I did not have that sort of insider knowledge. I am still only a student! Any chance of names?
Regards,
Tony K

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
SIAI Marchetti SF.260
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2004, 11:15:29 pm »
Hi all
"skull" and "sailor" will have to remain publicly anonymous,TK, as they are still in the trade and probably wouldn't care to have their names aired......The Marchettis are in "flyable storage", being flown but once a month......Incidentally, the first batch of cadets to fly the PC-9s as students have only had air experience flights in the Marchettis. They will start their flying on the Pilatus' with no other flight experience.Given the practise in other Air Forces, I think it's crazy that the cadets are not flight-screened on light aircraft before being let loose on the PC-9s.
regards
GttC

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
SIAI Marchetti SF.260
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2004, 11:32:11 am »
I agree with GTTC regarding being let loose on the PC9 with zero hours on any aircraft type. How long before they start pranging the shiny new PC9's.

Offline Silver

• View Profile
SIAI Marchetti SF.260
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2004, 02:45:40 pm »
I agree.

Why not screen new recruits on the Cessnas ?

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
SIAI Marchetti SF.260
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2004, 04:19:57 pm »
Hi Tony, GTTC's right 'Skull' and 'Sailor' are two of the best techies you could meet! Sailor moved up from the Naval base and for about a year in the late '70s he still wore his sailors uniform! I lived with him in various locations around west Co. Dublin. I'm still in touch with him now, he lives in Florida. He's had one of the most fascinating lives of anyone I know! Including working at Luton Airport assembling Robinson R22/44s, one day they wheeled a yellow one out of the hangar with the registration F-YFFE on the tail boom! Within minutes scores of 'spotters' were clambering for photos! (Fyffe-bananas, yellow aircraft! well it made me laugh). Another one was green so of course it had to be EI-EIO! Top bloke! 'Skull' was an apprentice in '78, another top bloke! I don't know where he is now, though, that shouldn't be too hard to find out as ex apprentices still keep in touch with each other!

Offline Tony Kearns

• View Profile
SIAI Marchetti SF.260
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2004, 09:41:40 pm »
Thanks GTTC and John for the info. I understand why you do not want to list names that's ok. Interesting about the Pilatus initial training programme. It is only marginaly slower, at sea level, than the old Spitfire Trainer.
Tony K