Author Topic: The Tall Ships race  (Read 970 times)

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
The Tall Ships race
« on: January 20, 2005, 12:44:40 pm »
This year this competition starts from Waterford, it will be the first week in July. I am travelling back from the UK to see it, does anyone know if their are any plans for an air display or anything like it. Waterford expects to have 250,000 visitors during this period, should be great. I will be surprised if the Air Corps do not make an apperaance. If interested, the website is: http://www.waterfordtallshipsrace.com

Offline Silver

• View Profile
The Tall Ships race
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 07:35:25 pm »
I agree Flyboy.

It would be great to see a 4-ship (pardon the pun!) PC-9 formation at the tall ships race - and indeed, at other such high profile events (e.g. Croke park finals, Easter parade, etc)

In the UK it is even not unknown for aircraft to attend classic car shows ! .... be they RAF or privately-owned ex-military aircraft.

Offline sealion

• View Profile
The Tall Ships race
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 03:18:53 am »
I do not remember any Air Corps participation during the Tall ships race visit to Cork back in the early 90s,apart from the Dauphin that embarked on eithne...

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
The Tall Ships race
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 08:50:42 am »
Sealion, the difference is this time the race is actually starting from Waterford. The 3-4 days leading up to the Saturday start is very important for Waterford and Ireland as a whole considering the number of visitors that will be in the area. A flypast from the Air Corps flying above the ships moored in The Suir would look great, the Red Arrows would very likely do so in a UK city. There is also a great opportunity for an Air/Sea rescue demonstration using the Dunmore East lifeboat and the Coastguard heli based at Waterford airport.

Offline 202

• View Profile
The Tall Ships race
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 04:25:31 pm »
There was a Marchetti flyover of the fleet making viewable from Sandymount when the race departed Dublin some years ago.  On the other hand I recall seeing the start of the race in Antwerp last summer and there was no aerial participation whatever by the Belgian Air Force or Navy.

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
The Tall Ships race
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 04:49:20 pm »
But Ireland has a way of making events their own, a model of the Asgard is currently in Waterford Crystal factory where they are making a crystal copy to be given to the winner and will become the Winner's prize from now on. There are loads of events planned in W/ford that week, so personnally I would love to see the Air Corps put on a display. They would have a HUGE audience watching them.

Offline sealion

• View Profile
The Tall Ships race
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 06:17:13 pm »
Quote (Flyboy @ 21 Jan. 2005,08:50)
Sealion, the difference is this time the race is actually starting from Waterford. The 3-4 days leading up to the Saturday start is very important for Waterford and Ireland as a whole considering the number of visitors that will be in the area.

I thought it started in Cork back then too? It was on for a good week,from what I can remember..

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
The Tall Ships race
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 10:58:28 am »
Sorry Sealion, but taken from RTE's news on 20th Jan "The Race has been to Ireland before - to Cork and Dublin which were race stages - but this is the first occasion on which it will actually start from an Irish port." I am not being pedantic, just loyal to Waterford and would love the Air Corps to show off their new wares in front of a very large public audience.

I will shut up now before someones points out this board is for Aircraft and not Ships !!!

Offline sealion

• View Profile
The Tall Ships race
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 12:23:44 am »
You are right indeed. Cork was only a stage in the race. It was however a major event to the locality(any excuse for a party atmosphere).

Maybe with the new PR Friendly GOC Air Corps ':p'  a decision could be made to send a few Pilatus along,and maybe a CASA too ,to follow the ships at sea...

Online Frank

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishairpics.com
The Tall Ships race
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 05:41:44 am »
Hi Guys,

I don't think the GOC can decide to send aircraft to the event, it's up to the organisers to request aircraft or flypasts.

So if anyone knows a committee member for the race have a word in their ear now.

Regards,

Frank.
IrishAirPics.com - Your source for thousands of Irish Aviation photographs
http://www.irishairpics.com

Offline Imshi-Yallah

• View Profile
The Tall Ships race
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 01:49:02 pm »
And the benefit to the Air Corps would be?

And dont tell me people are going to demand defence spending after seeing a flypast.
‘The hottest place in hell is for those who are neutral’
Dante Alighieri

Offline Flyboy

• View Profile
The Tall Ships race
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 02:03:25 pm »
Quote (Imshi-Yallah @ 25 Jan. 2005,04:49)

Public Relations, and a chance for the public to see the PC9's.

If you apply your logic there would be no Red Arrows, or any display team, but I think that discussion has been done quite a few times.

Offline Imshi-Yallah

• View Profile
The Tall Ships race
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2005, 02:20:40 pm »
People in the UK are proud of their armed forces and accept a certain level of spending...people here will regard it as a waste of taxpayers money involving "NATO" standard kitten killing aircraft.
Dante Alighieri

Offline bucks

• View Profile
The Tall Ships race
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2005, 03:36:42 pm »
Quote (Imshi-Yallah @ 25 Jan. 2005,04:49)

And dont tell me people are going to demand defence spending after seeing a flypast.

Incase you havent noticed there is currently a recruitment drive in process for the Air Corp.

A flypast would act as good PR and also to let potential recruits see the type of new aircraft the Air Corps operate, just like the Blue Angels do in the US, as there main role is to try an influence young people into wanting to join the US Navy.

Offline Imshi-Yallah

• View Profile
The Tall Ships race
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2005, 04:34:23 pm »
So people will see the air corps have prop planes and want to join up?
Id call it a waste of time and effort
Dante Alighieri