Author Topic: Higher Options 2005  (Read 972 times)

Offline GoneToTheCanner

• View Profile
Higher Options 2005
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 02:44:33 am »
Hi there
John K,you're being very polite.I remember the word "rockape" being more prevalent than "recruit"! So,Stand To have a LandRover all of their own.!? I remember the Fire Picquet carrying the hydrant key around,for the ritual opening and closing of the water cocks.Thankfully,that waste of time was done away with and the Don crawled into the later part of the 20th Century.
regards
GttC

Offline John K

• View Profile
    • MSN
Higher Options 2005
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2005, 10:43:19 pm »
Hi GTTC, yes the Stand To landrover was used for the patrol around the perimeter every evening and whenever it was required-the pay run to Clondalkin every Friday when the lads on Stand to got to stand outside the bank while the pay was collected for the Camp. There was always the same sargeant on duty as well (his name was Eddie something) we used to call him "Win the wars!" on account of his posturing and shouting at us to "...cover off in that gateway..." Once there was a ladder up against the side of the bank and Eddie thought this was suspicious so he climbed up for a look on the roof whereupon the ladder was removed leaving him stranded! He actually lived in Clondalkin and these women neighbours of his would say to him "Howaya Eddie, ah Jaysus sure you're on duty and you can't talk to us, can yah!" Now he was a recruit! Rock Ape came from the RAF use to describe the little fellows who live on the Rock of Gibraltar, their recruits!
Fire Picquet! No. 3 had to call out the units for 9 o'clock parade on the camp tannoy, I used to say "Attention, all you nits!" Heh, Heh!
Maggot Healy was on guard one night and I was whispering his name on the tannoy and I could hear his laughing from No.1 post across the square to the BOSs office!
Ahhh! Those were the days!